In sickness and in health - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2022 to April 21, 2022

In sickness and in health

Days 57-59 - Trieste

Well, it definitely wasn't just allergies. We had some unfortunate rhinovirus and spent a few days mostly resting in our, sadly not that cheap, hotel room. Well, these things can't be helped!

Day 60 - Trieste to Senozece

Not feeling quite fully recovered but definitely feeling like it was time to leave, we left towards Slovenia - a new country! Really new, for me, I've never been before!

Trieste being right on the coast, practically every way you look there is a fairly major climb to get out of the city. But, after some devious searching, Sarah found a way that, while not avoiding going up, at least avoided some of the brutal gradients we saw elsewhere.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Please note the sign.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThat is BRUTAL. Not sure how we would even manage to push, let alone ride, up that one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lorenzo JaryReally!! Any steeper and we would not have managed. There are probably two roads in the whole of the UK at that gradient, I couldn't believe it. And of course the sign was only at the top and not the bottom...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Haha j/k! Never trust Google maps!

While by turns unbelievable, hilarious, ridiculous, and very tiring, our sickness hadn't affected our fitness as much as I was worried it had, and they didn't last for all that long, so we did manage to get up the insane hills. Where we joined a proper road, much less steep, that we probably would have been on the whole way if we weren't idiots.

After some more civilised climbing we were soon across the border. I love the Schengen system but it is a bit anticlimactic - my passport is still empty of stamps.

Heart 1 Comment 0

There are a few kilometres of not very pleasant petrol stations, casinos, truck stops etc to get through as well. But after that, Slovenia quickly became beautiful, and so different to the Italy we were used to that is so close by.

Masses of forest in a multitude of colours, misty mountains, and chalet style houses were everywhere we looked. Also there seems to be an incredible network of well kept, wide, relatively smooth gravel roads going all over the hills and valleys!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Alas, we weren't feeling 100% and didn't really fancy doing huge gravel mountain traverses, spectacular as they might be. So, after only going about 35kms by 5.30pm, we stumbled into a cute restaurant slash hotel with very friendly and helpful staff, where we quickly decided to stay.

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 2,329 km (1,446 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ali JaryA day of adventures that ended well ! The scenery is once again stunning in a different way ! I’m sure Trieste is missing you !
Reply to this comment
1 year ago