Day 1 - "Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish!" - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

February 19, 2022

Day 1 - "Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish!"

"Want something. Want something!"

Well, this is what I wanted... Wish me luck!

Day 1 - 41km

Santiago - Teiraboa basecamp nr Arzúa

What a beautiful day! Almost perfect cycling weather, get a bit hot going uphill and a bit cold going downhill - especially if you forget to zip your top up.

Spain is so nice! It's a feeling I usually get whenever I go to Europe, something about the colour of the sun and sky, the smell of the air, it's like they've just got something the UK hasn't and it's really nice. Beautiful old streets that haven't been tarmacked or developed into flats, coffee for €1, a great variety of delicious and local and well priced food sold by independent shops and restaurants, and just a sense that, without arrogance or (much) unpleasant nationalism, they know that they've got something pretty good and so take pride in it and preserve it. Perhaps this is just a rose tinted ignorant holiday fiction on my part...

(This feeling is also possibly related to personal attitudes towards the UK. As Alan Bennett said, "There is so little that has happened in this country since the 80s that I approve of or feel able to endorse. One only has to stand still to become a radical.")

Yep, that's me.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Babe 😉
Heart 5 Comment 2
Andy PeatThat must be an intense yellow to make those Ortliebs look so pale.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Andy PeatYou're right! Looks especially bright in the gloomy light. The ortliebs have seen a few thousand kms but usually they are the brightest thing around.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

41kmish of cycling, much hillier than we thought! Had a little bit of that "oh my god what the fuck am I doing" feeling you get at the beginning of a cycle tour when you're struggling uphill, and you can barely lift or steer your bike which seems to weigh more than you do - but it wasn't too bad. Lots of beautiful countryside - farmland with noble looking cows, aforementioned hills (or are they mountains?), villas and farms ranging from the modern glass-balconied to the extremely run down, tumbledown, no windows or doors kind.

And many peregrinos (that's pilgrims!) walking the camino.

A nice campsite and a nice supper to end.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A soupy rice with chorizo, leek, carrot, a proper dried chili from a nice independent grocery, topped with a tin of "Agujas."
Heart 4 Comment 2
Roya HekWhat’s agujas? This meal looks very impressive!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryTo Roya HekHi Roya!
Thanks! We are trying to make an effort to eat healthily, not just fill up on whatever calories we feel like (though we're getting through quite a lot of local cheese!).
I bought them without knowing, just to try, and I thought they were little mackerel because that's what they tasted like, but then in another shop it had an English label I can't quite remember - might've been garfish? Something you don't often see at home anyway!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 41 km (25 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0