A perfect day, in reverse - Being Alive - CycleBlaze

March 10, 2022

A perfect day, in reverse

Day 20 - Bilbao to Elgoibar

That is, a really bad and unpleasant day, until the end where it picked up a bit. So bad I hardly took any pictures, sorry.

I don't know if any of you have been to London, but even if you have, you probably don't know Hanger Lane unless you've lived and driven into and out of the city. It's a huge roundabout-overpass monstrosity, in a bleak, grey, ugly, rundown outskirt of the big smoke. Basically, the first 40km of the day felt like cycling around it, but with more enormous steel mills, factories, and industrial zones.

I've totally lost faith in komoot. Getting out of Bilbao was Kafkaesque. Why are we going up this hill? Why aren't we going on this cycle path? Why are we taking this absurdly indirect looking route? Not to mention half the time now it doesn't update our position on the map, even though it continues to draw the red line of our progress the same way it's supposed to.

The smells, my god, the smells - some sort of industrial garlic? But slightly off, and mixed with a sickening resinous overtone. Miles and miles of burnt tuna melts. Quite a lot of piss.

So much traffic, of all sizes.

It rained.

(Though we did manage to hide in a café.)
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got divided by a train.

Sob.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then, as a treat, we turn off to a narrow paved road with very little traffic. Just a few kilometres of 5, 10, 15% gradients, which we had to push our very heavy bikes up.

Heart 2 Comment 0

There was quite a nice alpine descent after that, just a bit narrow and washboardy and scary without a crash barrier to enjoy properly.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And finally, honestly, the walking / cycling path between Eibar and Elgoibar was a actually pretty nice.

Giving some serious thought to just getting a train somewhere flat.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 684 km (425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Frank DenmanEnjoying your blog everyday a new adventure keep smiling and I hope you find somewhere flat xxxx
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryThanks for the support - I'm glad you're enjoying it!! Cheers x
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Polly LowI've also found Komoot quite unreliable in (bits of) continental Europe. Have you tried cycle.travel? (I've recommended it on another thread, but I'm not a bot, honestly...) I've never used it in Spain, but it's found good routes for me in France, and in Greece (where I currently am). A drawback is that it doesn't yet have an app, so you have to download a route and then re-upload it to whatever navigation device you have...

(But in any case: I hope you get sunshine and tailwinds soon!)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Lorenzo JaryThanks so much Polly!

I actually do use cycle.travel - it's brilliant isn't it! That's where the eurovelo 3 pilgrim route came from, and where the upcoming Pyrenean route came from, and will probably be where the eurovelo 8 Mediterranean, and all our other routes come from! It's just the past few days connecting things up it's gone wrong.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago