Day 9 Ta-daaaa! - BayCycle 2009 - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2009

Day 9 Ta-daaaa!

San Mateo to Mountain VIew

Ahhh. Slept in because this was a short day. Or so I thought.

We stayed at home last night because we live only 20 minutes from San Mateo. So to me it felt like yesterday was the real end of the ride in some respects.

MBW was more eager than I was to get going again this morning. She really wanted to put the punctuation on the end of the ride. She was infectious as usual, and we came up with a great way to end things: she would drop me in San Mateo where we left off yesterday, then she'd drive to her doctor's appointment with her trike on the rack, I'd ride to meet her there, she'd mount up and we'd ride the last 6 miles home together. She also had another doctor's appointment later; if we were running late we could just go straight there and ride home afterwards. Then we could drive back to pick up the expedition support vehicle she had left at her first appointment. Easier than it reads.

The plan worked out wonderfully. After noshing a quick lunch sitting in the car, I got going around 1:00 from Central Park in San Mateo, and cranked right along. Typical suburban residential area, then a construction zone at old Bay Meadows racetrack where there's still ped/bike right of way during demolition, then along a road with lots of auto body shops, welders, car repair shops, bars, etc. Not scenic but a straight, fast shot towards home, and by now I was really smelling the barn.

Central Park in San Mateo has a lovely little rose garden and small arboretum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All that's left of the grandstand at Bay Meadows Racetrack. Going to be developed into houses and businesses. Seabiscuit raced here in the 1930s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can still ride or walk along Bay Meadows. There was actually someone using a blower to clear the lane. Couldn't believe they'd spend the time and money to do that.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I got a call from MBW that she was parking the car elsewhere and riding to her first appointment. That meant I was making too good time. So I slowed down and became a touring cyclist again.

One of the towns the route took me was Atherton. I think the minimum zoned lot is 20 acres. Oh, do I exaggerate? Just a little. But the large estates do make for pleasant, quiet lanes to ride along. Before I knew it I was through Menlo Park (passing the parked expedition support vehicle) and crossing a bike bridge over San Francisquito Creek, which serves as the county line, onto Stanford University property.

The route through Atherton, one of the richer places I rode through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's one of the smaller homes and lots in Atherton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Polo, anyone? The grounds at the Menlo Circus Club in Atherton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty San Francisquito Creek, divider of San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. From a bike bridge that crosses from Menlo Park to Stanford.
Heart 0 Comment 0

MBW's appointment was near the Stanford medical center. We hooked up, then rode over to one of our new favorite eateries, Tootsie's Cafe, at the old Stanford Barn for second lunch. Tootsie's in the old power house and, like the barn, made of brick. Great food. Go there if you can.

Triking fanatic pauses for refreshment at Tootsie's in Stanford.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the Bryant Street Bike Boulevard in Palo Alto.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We meandered through Palo Alto on bike paths and residential streets, and because we were going so slowly, went straight to the next appointment. While MBW was busy there, I sat in a nearby cafe working on this journal. By the time she was done it was after 6:00. Remember how I thought this would be a short day? I was feeling just as tired and hungry as if I'd ridden 50 miles.

But still, we went slowly, taking photos all the way just as if we were still on the road and not riding in our usual haunts.

And then, we were home. Adventure done. Very happy.

MBW rides into town. For the win!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Read MBW's blog for her take on today.

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 262 miles (422 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0