Woss - an interesting place to stop - Cycling Away the Pandemic Blues - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2020

Woss - an interesting place to stop

Staying in Sayward last night more than exceeded our expectations. Fisherboy Campground and Cabins is lovingly care for by the family who own the property. The grounds are park like and the cabins have been refurbished with everything you need, including super comfortable beds. We would definitely stay (or camp) here when we are next in the area. It also helps that 2 residents cats are very affectionate and friendly.

Home Sweet Home for the night in Sayward.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kitchen, TV, comfy beds...everything we need ina quiet pretty setting.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Breakfast in our room is our usual routine. Barry makes delicious aeropress coffee and we like having muesli with yogurt and fruit.

Fisher boy is now known as Sayward Valley Resort.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We expect that our ride today should be fairly quick as there are no towns or services between here and Woss. The only stop we expect to make is to find a Rest Area to make lunch.

We have been lucky with good weather and today it is once again a perfect sunny day for riding  with  a bit of fall coolness in the air. The ride began with the ominous Road Sign warning to drivers to “put chains on here”. And this means that we will be climbing, which we did for 10 km. 

This semi was pulling a huge flatbed with massive excavating equipment. We hope they got it fixed...how would you tow this thing?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have both found the scenery to be more dramatic the farther north we go.  Mountain peaks, dense forests, lakes and rivers have  kept us entertained. As usual there were lots of big trucks, logging trucks fully loaded, RV’s  and campers  on the highway...and we were the only cyclists. Once again the drivers were respectful and gave us space. We were pleased to find  were 2 or 3 Rest Stops along the way today. It is a luxury, as a cycling traveller, to have a choice of bathroom stops with amenities in the wilderness.

There is nothing like the open road, especially with a vista like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We stopped to make lunch at this rest stop by a river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This river is by the rest stop. A stellar’s gray entertained us while we ate our lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After yesterday’s rant about the dreaded “rumble strips” on the highway, we are happy to report that recent construction on the highway, 9 km before Woss,  has resulted in a butter smooth surface to ride on with no rumble strips.   yeah!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Within 3 hours we arrived in Woss. We chose to stay here as it offers the only accommodation available between Sayward and Port McNeill. Based on the research we have done, we aren’t expecting much, but it is the only alternative as the only other solution is to ride 135 km to Port McNeill.

The dust coming off this logging truck made breathing difficult for a few km. The truck had just pulled on to the highway from a logging road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A bit of trivia about Woss. It was a logging camp until 1999 when it closed down and became  a Hamlet of 189 people. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

The only services in Woss are a recently installed electric auto charging station and  the store/motel/restaurant (Korean run), Rugged Mountain Motel, where we are staying. The restaurant’s claim to fame is that it is B.C.’s  most remote sushi restaurant and the food is said to be good. Sadly the restaurant is closed due to COVID. 

Our first view was of the store...it looks good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the we saw the restaurant ... not so good and closed!😥
Heart 0 Comment 0

However, the motel is a different matter. When you pull up, it resembles an abandoned building in great disrepair. The gutters are falling off, the parking area is overgrown, but it is open for business and gives us a place to stay.

And then we saw the motel....uh oh.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh oh, that hotel is in need of repair... :/
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

The room is ok, but not very clean nor sterilized.   We travel with lots of items to clean and sterilize surfaces, so we have been busy. Thankfully we have two beds as the one has potato  chips under the covers and looks bad. The second one seems to be clean. We do have camp mats, pillows  and sleeping bag liners which we will use on  the overnight ferry to Rupert. So we can use these if needed and sleep on the floor. Also the room has  a frig, microwave, coffee maker and the bathroom is clean. We’ll be fine.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 364 km (226 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0