A scorcher of a day ( 37+ C. ) and a 92 kilometre ride on the Po River - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2018

A scorcher of a day ( 37+ C. ) and a 92 kilometre ride on the Po River

 We have enjoyed staying with Felix and Vanessa at Agrituismo Boschi Celati, sharing meals, conversation and much laughter. You can’t beat sleeping in a rural setting as it is so quiet. 

Agriturismos are an element of travelling in Italy that we really enjoy. On previous trips we have taken advantage of them whenever we can. Many years ago, farmers were struggling to make a living in Italy and many were leaving their farms. Italy had the brilliant idea of encouraging them to continue farming, by offering tax incentives if they opened rooms to visitors and offered meals.  Typically, breakfast is provided and when you are lucky, dinner as well. Agriturismos tend to offer home cooked Italian food with ingredients sourced from their farm.

It is truly a win-win for all. We get to stay on an Italian farm, which can be a  farm with cattle, orchards, crops and/or wineries and the farmer is able to make a more profitable living and continue his lifestyle of  farming and living in rural surroundings. Some agriturismos are very special with a  homey appproach and is often  reasonably  priced. We always  gain such positive insights of how Italians live and we enjoy  connecting  with them on a personal level. Our preference is the small family farm which may offer a few rooms and perhaps camping as well. It is not unusual to arrive and be offered a bottle of their wine, fruits and veggies from the farm....

Today we rode further than we intended, and that was not by choice. When we could,w we took shelter from the hot sun and sought out shade, but there we  no breezes. Camping is not available in this area and there were no places to stay. The towns in this area look to be suffering financially and have a look of faded glory. Finally we found accomodation in Casalmaggiore, a city with little to see and a commercial zone which creates a lot of truck traffiC. However,  it had a nice hotel with air conditioning and a breakfast buffet. We negotiated a better price for the room and were happy to stop.  A long day of meandering around the loops of the Po River.

Boschi Celati: the sprawling multi generation family home with a breakfast room for guests on the main level.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pony was out for a walk and was grazing in the garden by the restaurant. It was very frisky when it was in the garden. I enjoyed watching it jumping for joy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boschi Celati is a big operation with several rooms and a lovely dining room with al fresco dining in the garden as well. The cook was gathering herbs and decorative branches for bouquets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mission accomplished...now back to cooking.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It can be hard to capture a lizard as they move so fast. I caught this guy as he was catching a bit of sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seavo had a most pleasant night in this room which had a lovely scent from the jasmine lining the doors.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Agriturismos Boschi Celati is truly a family affair with everybody pitching in. We have enjoyed our stay here and now will continue on the Po River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The sultry, slow moving Po River is close to our route this morning. This is welcome as once again it is in the high 30’s this morning and very humid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It may be my imagination, but I can feel the heat in this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is Sunday morning and the church bells are ringing calling people to service.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When you are hot and struggling on the ride, it is always good to find things to amuse you. We got a kick out of this sea-doo on the roof of the house. We often debate about where it is best to store our kayak at home and it has never occurred to us to store it on our roof. One learns so much when travelling!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We aren’t sure why names of towns are in two languages - does anyone know?
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is no movement in the air today, not even on the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have entered an area where cherries are plentiful and they are in season. We bought a basket from the farm and will have a treat later.
Heart 1 Comment 0
“All hands on deck” ..... the family is busy sorting cherries and they are selling them as fast as they fill them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This view is typical of the Po valley - brown tones and stone homes and barns. Previously we rode the Po from Mantova to Ferrara in early September after harvest. We are enjoying seeing a more lush landscape this time of year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most of the Po River route is on a dyke - no shade and a straight line. It is a route that we are using because it gets us to where we need to go - but it is always a conflict as we find it tedious and hot. Typically the villages are not very prosperous and offer few distractions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nonetheless, the Po gives us another perspective of Italian life, and for that reason, it is worth doing in some of the regions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My goodness, it is so hot. Barry disappeared in to a Bar and returned with a bag of cold drinks. My favourites are the lemon drinks that are so good in Italy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A farm along the Po.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are just north of Parma and this region is the home of Parmgiano Reggiano.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are trying to get a photo which shows the mountains in the distance , but it is so hazy. You can just see a faint outline on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 2,501 km (1,553 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0