Day 8: Saturday 24 June 2023 - rest day Villefranche-sur-Saône - Brighton to Barcelona by bike - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2023

Day 8: Saturday 24 June 2023 - rest day Villefranche-sur-Saône

I lay on my bed at about 930 last night before getting ready for bed for an hour and a half then once I was asleep I was awake again by 5 am, so I can't really complain but a little bit earlier than I'd hoped.

Early, but long leisurely breakfast, followed by taking the bike to the van and using the work stand to give the drive train a good and lube. The bike itself is a bit grubby, but as long as the moving bits are clean, that's the important thing.

Patrick, the local organiser of Parkinson's France was going beyond the call of duty in providing helpful advice to us, and had offered to do washing for us, and to invite us to his house for a barbecue. We explained that kind though this was we really wanted to spend the day resting. He also, arranged for Nicolas, a local journalist from Le Progrès newspaper, to come and talk to a few of us about our trip.

On the subject of washing, I took all of my clothes even the ones I washed by hand, to the local laundrette, and managed to get everything much more clean. Very satisfying. All the damp washing, got strung around the room, so it looks a complete mess but should dry very quickly.

Kathy, Dave and I had lunch at the same brasserie again on the square as it is really ideally placed and a very nice venue to watch the world go by.

After lunch, I did an hour or two of admin and catching up on emails and Whats Apps, followed by a nice 90 minute nap. The air-conditioning in the hotel really makes a big difference in keeping cool as the temperature is currently around 30° and forecast to be the same or hotter for the next week.

Dinner was a lovely meal outdoors at a Breton Crêperie, accompanied by a teacup of cider.  Not a very traditional meal to have in this part of France, but delicious nonetheless.

aeing Sunday, breakfast is not until 7 am tomorrow, so the plan is to get away by 730 and try and beat a little bit of the heat.a

 

Laundrette fun!
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Dessert crèpe. Preceded by a savoury galette
Heart 0 Comment 0
traditional tea cup of cider
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0