A Day in Kilkiven - Riding Slowly South - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2021

A Day in Kilkiven

Kilkiven to Gympie

I had a work meeting at 3:15 and the school bus was booked to pick us up outside Kilkiven School at 4pm. The rest of the day was ours to spend as we wished in Kilkiven.

There's not a lot of things to do in Kilkiven. The museum is shut on Mondays. The library opens from 9-12. There's a pub and a cafe. And it was raining.

Rain showers fell all night, but had the decency to pause so we could have our breakfast in anaemic sunshine. Jill and Jeff, from the caravan opposite, even boiled the kettle for us. Win!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We hung out in the library until it closed. Then we hung out in the park for lunch. Then we had second lunch at the pub. This was vastly entertaining - the pub is brimming with artworks of all levels of talent or lack thereof and all sorts of mementos. Fake crocodile head? Framed Fred Brophy memorabilia? Multiple small fat dogs? Kilkiven pub can deliver on all of these and simultaneously to boot.

Flashback to Grandma's parlour in the lounge of the Kilkiven pub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I even found Ned Kelly's armour lurking between the DIY coffee facilities and the Pokie machines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eventually even cycle tourists have to leave the pub. We moved to the bus shelter outside the State School, and tried not to look creepy while we waited for the bus.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At 4:20 Jan arrived with the school bus and before you could say lickety-split we were roaring along the highway and thanking our lucky stars that we weren't pedalling on the non-existent shoulder while trying to dodge the traffic. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We don't make a fuss, we're happy to bus

When we think the road is too busy.

We're happy to sit, and rest for a bit

As past all the roadworks we whizzy.

Our driver with smiles, went for extra miles

And unloaded us right at our door.

If you need to know the best way to go

Polleys Coaches will help you, and more!

Dropped just around the corner from the door actually, by jolly driver Jan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home for the night: Royal Hotel, Gympie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0