Day 16: Rest day in Vordingborg - Around Denmark with Kevin - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2023

Day 16: Rest day in Vordingborg

Dea and I both felt pretty under the weather this morning and we decided we needed to spend another day at the cabin. But Kevin wasn’t very happy about things and was constantly whining. To be fair there wasn’t much for him to do at the campsite and, while all Dea and I wanted to do was pull up the covers and lie in bed all day, that wasn’t on the agenda for a busy 16-month-old. Being sick is hard, being sick and having to look after another human being is harder.

We looked for things to do locally and came up with a petting zoo that was a few kilometres back on a small island at the end of the spider bridge. We cycled there and had a good time looking at the animals, even if it was a bit sad how little space some of them had. Some were even sharing enclosures and, as entertaining as it might be to watch a sheep fighting a kangaroo for food, it’s not quite right, is it?

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

In the afternoon I took Kevin with me to the supermarket. He is always happy to sit in the trolley and shop so we had a leisurely stroll through Lidl. Then I took him to a kid’s second hand shop and let him pick out some new toys. This was definitely a highlight of his holiday. Even though it had not felt like what I wanted at the start of the day, it had been good to get out and do things with Kevin. Even my ribs were starting to feel a bit better as well.

Back at the campground we talked with some other cyclists - a German family cycling with their young son, and a Belgian couple riding a tandem. Kevin was in a good mood playing with his new toys and we were all feeling better. After putting Kevin to bed, Dea and I stayed up playing games and it felt like a more positive atmosphere had returned to our journey. A journey which we hopefully will be able to move forward with again tomorrow.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 351 km (218 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0