El salvador de Jaén - Flantastic Voyage - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2018

El salvador de Jaén

Friend! This story desperately needed a hero, and it came in the form of Israel and his lovely family. After a quick introduction, we followed Israel and the dogs through what seemed at the time like 500 meters of narrow dirt path.  We kept our bike lights on, but it still seemed so dark! We reached his patio and parked our bikes, exhausted and relieved.

The rest of the family was at the fiesta that had thwarted us earlier. Israel showed us around and got us settled in. His wife and two adorable and rambunctious daughters returned, and we all sat down for a family meal. It was really wonderful. Sunyoung was communicating well right away. I could understand most of the conversation and was even able to participate in my own modest way. They were all very patient with us. Their hospitality gave us a second wind, but eventually it all caught up with us and we crawled up the stairs to our room.

I wish Sunyoung could write today’s journal entry, because I have spent most of it in bed. I’m not sure exactly what’s going on, but I think it’s dehydration. I’m weak and have very little appetite. Nevertheless, I was able to enjoy a traditional breakfast of toast with olive oil and tomatoes, and gazpacho and paella vegetál for lunch.

We had planned on going to the fiesta with the family, but neither of us was rested well enough for it. We did go for a paseo with Israel after they returned. It was reassuring to walk the path that had felt so scary last night. We shared a nice conversation while Israel pointed out nearby plants, the mountain peaks, and majestic buildings in the distance.

Tomorrow I hope to be somewhat recovered so we can tackle the Via Verde de Aceite. But we have this evening to spend with our hosts and we are grateful for every moment.

Los caballos
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our new bike clothes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Please don’t rain now!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The local olive oil cooperative
Heart 0 Comment 0
The city on the hill
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bicycles bring people together
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cactus among the olives
Heart 1 Comment 1
David StevensI think this is a variety of agave not a cactus. These are native to the American content and this variety is probably from Mexico. It is very similar to the century plants we had in the backyard of the Ivy house.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0