Day 6: Valkinesse to Haamstede - A Dutch of Class (Another Three Nations Tour (France - Belgium - Netherlands)) - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2013

Day 6: Valkinesse to Haamstede

Day 6: Valkinesse to Haamstede
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was very misty when we opened our eyes, and although we knew that there was a crossing of the North Sea Barriers awaiting us, we got up quickly, showered and broke camp at around 09:30.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A quick trip via Zoutelande...

Heart 0 Comment 0

... which is a very pretty little place, but read on, gentle reader, and you will see a beautiful little burg which makes the trip to the Netherlands worth it, all on its own. We headed onto the North Sea Cycle Route, which although it may not have been the fastest route, was certainly one of the prettiest. We ended up cycling through this gorgeous little forest for about half an hour. Although this played havoc with our GPS' ability to follow the route, it did give us valuable shelter from the sun, and as you can see from these pictures, it was absolutely beautiful.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we cleared the forest, it was time to cross the North Sea Barrier, heading roughly east and then north. We were fortunate in that there was relatively little wind, and the sky was slightly overcast, so all in, Penelope was loving the trip.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cycled into Burgh, and my word, what a lovely little town!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at this nice little bakery ..

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After buying some delightful crusty bread, a kind passerby offered to take our picture.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Impossible to lay too much emphasis on what a gorgeous little town this place is. We walked to a supermarket, passing this old pair of bikes ..

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

I waited outside whilst Penelope went in to replenish our supplies.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually, we headed out towards the campsite. Alas, the first one we tried was full, but they recommended another one a mile or so away. That one quoted us 35 EUR for one night, so we cycled on, eventually coming to the Camping de Duinhoeve where, aside from a guy at reception who glared at me rather belligerently once he saw the Star of David on my T-shirt, was very nice. 1500 pitches, and we were charged 24 EUR. What a difference! We settled into a pitch in a sort of 'alley' of trees, and I made us some pasta with sauce, and we munched on the bread we had bought. Penelope took this picture of me..

Heart 0 Comment 0

I really need to get into the habit of putting sun cream on!

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 150 miles (241 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0