Baddeck to Margaree - Cycling Into Retirement Folly - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2020

Baddeck to Margaree

Day 1

By the time we were packed up and were ready to leave The Trailsman Motel, it was 10:30 on a beautiful 24-degree sunny day. We cycled the first 2 km on the Trans Canada Highway before turning onto the Middle River West Road for 20 glorious km with no traffic.   The scenery was spectacular with the river on our right and the mountains rising a little more to the right again.

Steve, ready to go from the Trailsman Motel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Waterfront view at the Trailsman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Middle River West Road
Heart 1 Comment 0

We then turned on to the official Cabot Trail Route (the 30), for 15 traffic-filled km until we got to the famous Dancing Goat C where we had planned to have our first taste of Cape Breton delights.  However,  the parking lot of The Goat was full and since we had already stopped at a picnic spot at First Lake O’Law for snacks, we continued on. 

First Lake O’Law
Heart 1 Comment 0
Snacks at First Lake O’Law
Heart 1 Comment 0

Leaving The Goat we turned off the highway to make our way along 20 km of traffic free roads and had our first experience of the climbs in store for this week.  After 5 km of unpaved road we saw a huge pile of fresh berry-filled bear scat which had us double checking that this was the actual route. Once reassured, I sang at the top of my lungs to scare the bears away and we flew down the other side of the mountain and out onto the tranquil east side of the Margaree River, noting the familiar Acadian names on the mailboxes - Arseneau, LeBlanc, Aucoin to name a few. 

Crossing the Margaree River to the West side at the end of the day to reach our evening's accommodation at the Salmon Pool Inn.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We had reservations at The Salmon Pool Inn, a fishing/hunters paradise. We sat outside on the deck enjoying the warmth of the last rays of afternoon sunshine while toasting the success of our first day.  Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and therefore few tourists this summer, the inn was  not providing meals this year.  I was too tired to ride any further, but Kathy, the kind-hearted manager, offered to drive me into town for supper supplies.  After a light repast, we were off to bed.   We had a fabulous first day in the saddle in Cape Breton.

Celebrating our first day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Salmon Pool Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0

.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 55 km (34 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat happened next?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThere you go, just posted another day, hope you enjoy hearing more of our story.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago