Day 11 - to Red Roof Inn, Williamsport MD - Flower city->Steel city->Capital city - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2022

Day 11 - to Red Roof Inn, Williamsport MD

Miles: 44

Woke up to 32 degrees and heavy frost. Broke camp, worked on my bicycle a bit, and waited to 9:20 to start. Just too cold to start earlier. Since the forecast for tomorrow morning was also a low of 32, decided to make a reservation at the Red Roof in Williamsport.

Rode to Hancock for some food, struck up a conversation with David who was backpacking and had lunch together. Nice lunch and great conversation about getting outside as well as the television industry 

After lunch I was greeted by Keith Adams. Keith had been commenting on my journal but I did not realize he also attended Southern Illinois University and was in the Masters of Geology program with my wife.

Keith rode with me all the way to Williamsport and treated for a pizza. Thanks Keith

Fort Frederick, just off the trail
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNice you met up with Keith Adams - - he's a friend of mine! :) Great guy! :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Keith at the end of the ride
Heart 4 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHi Keith! :) Nice cowboy hat! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago


Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith AdamsTony's Pizza and the Desert Rose Cafe in Williamsport are among my go-to sources of food in that area, in case you're in search of sustenance.

There's also a hiker/biker campsite (Jordan Junction) maybe a mile and a half upstream (short of town) from Williamsport, where the Cumberland Valley campsite is slightly farther downstream from town.

Check the NPS C&O Canal website for current info on closures; some sections have been closed or temporarily rerouted. I noted that the site mentions "steep stairs" to access the Williamsport Visitor's Center (and town) from the Cushwa Turning Basin - the typical point of access. By the time you arrive that may have changed but you'll probably want to check conditions a few days in advance unless you like surprises.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsIt was great riding with you this afternoon!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Elizabeth HendersonVery cool! Go Salukis!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Elizabeth HendersonSorry I'm going to miss you when you're down here in my neighborhood- I've got to be in Pennsylvania starting tomorrow, for the rest of the week. But it was great to get reacquainted with Dave after all these decades.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago