Notes to Selves - Portus Cale's Atlantic Coast (Tour 24) - 2023 🇵🇹 - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Notes to Selves

Lessons Learned

+ Bring a jacket. Even if one day is 37 C, some evenings might be cool and wet.

+ For trips less than two weeks, rent a bike. Re-building a bike (especially a folder) can be a pain in the butt. If 2+ weeks then full-sized if flying a Cdn airline or the folder otherwise.

+ Double check train trips in case one leg could have been cycled instead of taking the train.

+ Re-reminder to bring the digital camera. More photo flexibility.

+ Alex is physically stronger than me and could easily carry his gear on-bike next time.

+ Travelling with Alex is so amazing. As always, he is calm, collected, witty, wise and fun to be with.

+ Even with the folding bikes, it is important to wrap them in plastic film for the flights, and maybe even capped with cardboard in delicate sections. Plastic wrap is an excellent means of protecting the bikes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe wondered why you carried all the gear. Maybe you are still seeing Alex as a little kid whereas he is well on his way to being a man. Next trip let him carry his own stuff, if not yours as well.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Brent IrvineOn his first tour I wanted him to gain the spatial awareness of cycletouring without the awkwardness of panniers. Next time he will have his own.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Rich FrasierI envy you for having this time with your kid. Kudos to you both for making it happen. May you both have fond memories!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago