Lazy tourist day in Arcos de la Frontera - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2021

Lazy tourist day in Arcos de la Frontera

We didn't do much today.  We had a very nice breakfast at our hotel, walked around the old town, took some photos, relaxed in the sun, ate some more, relaxed in our room, and I took a few more photos.  We had hoped to go into one or two of the churches and maybe even climb San Pedro’s tower, but they were all closed today, it seemed.  So yes, this entry is a bit of a photo dump. 

But first let me describe last night's dinner. We went to a place that describes itself as a “gastrobar,” whatever that is.  It was, we think, recommended by our host and had good online reviews so why not?

I was hoping for a dinner salad but none of the choices on the menu appealed to me. They generally included tuna or anchovies as a main component and I don’t care for either. Al suggested sharing the remaining option, a tomato and shrimp salad and getting a main course each.

We were both surprised when our server presented a dish containing a single large tomato in wedges, with sliced pickled onion, and buried in tiny (1-2 cm) whole shrimp.  No, I didn’t get a photo.  They were crunchy and tasted strongly of shrimp, but I think I’ll avoid them in future.

For our main courses, we had each order pork (different cuts), accompanied by potatoes and vegetables.   The plates,  when delivered, looked identical:   thinly sliced meat, sautéed, with fries and a small scoop of coleslaw.  It was tasty, but not what we expected from a “gastrobar” following that salad.

We shared a dessert that included ice cream and a custard sauce that was very good.

Back to today. We were hanging around in our room when the rain started just after sundown--that wasn't forecast!

In our hotel. We noticed that many of the buildings in Arcos had such signs, some of the the few we went into and many had them on their façade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north from the hotel’s roof terrace. All the buildings are white except the churches, castle, and convent.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our hotel is down the street to the left. We arrived from the opposite direction yesterday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tower of San Pedro church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Above the main entrance, San Pedro himself, I think.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A woman reading? Front façade, San Pedro church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Actually, all four personnages around the main door of San Pedro are reading. Above them, San Pedro is not.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Doorway, Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking to a mirador, Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love bougainvillea, especially when there are two colours.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Lednar De NallohLove bougainvillea s too, however pruning them often turns into a bloodbath.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Lednar De NallohNot something we Canadians need to worry about!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
At a mirador, Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view. Our route tomorrow will go over the dam down there and continue eastward and eventually upward.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We won’t be going over this bridge, unless we detour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
House entrance, Arcos de la Frontera. A woman walked up with a bag of shopping just as I turned from taking this and I was try8ng to figure out how to say “it’s lovely” in Spanish If it turned out to be her house, but she continued by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is in the Palacio del Mayorazgo, but there’s also one of these in the atrium of our hotel (which is very similar in layout and era). I thought it might be an indoor well…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doorway, Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 0 Comment 0
I can’t imagine renting a car and driving in Europe! I’ll stick to cycling.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tower of Santa Maria church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Santa Maria church and the Plaza del Cabildo (which clearly has not been dug up to build a parking garage underneath).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
View from the mirador by the Plaza del Cabildo. I’m not sure if our hotel is one of the white buildings on the cliff edge seen here or if it’s around the bend.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Detail, Santa Maria
Heart 2 Comment 0
From this angle, Santa Maria looks enormous. And all the niches are empty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arcos de la Frontera. This is the main street of the old town. It’s one-way alternating traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Further down the street, looking our through where the city gate used to be. It’s wider here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found this sculpture commemorating Semana Sancta rather spooky.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ralph StiebelVisions of the KKK
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Arcos de la Frontera
Heart 1 Comment 0
Relaxing in our room
Heart 4 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThis might even be the same room we stayed in, but they’ve changed the furnishings. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/andalucia2004/arcos-de-la-frontera/#17503_wg4hzop4zsptcac3g03e9kjb8cm
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI think there was more than one room that faced this spectacular view! And I unashamedly copied your photo.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Image not found :(
The flat-bottom bowl of the landscape here isn’t all that exciting, but the sky is fantastic!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
San Pedro from the roof terrace in the evening light.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lemons!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0