Córdoba Day 2 - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 17, 2021

Córdoba Day 2

On our walk last night to find an appealing place for dinner, we passed two intriguing sites that we thought we might return to today.

So after lunch we set off to find the Roman Temple we’d seen between some buildings. It seems that it’s a reconstruction project, apparently triggered by the discovery of ruins during a building project. It’s immediately adjacent to the new-looking city hall.

We first noticed this building on our first explore of the city. There was a Christmas market in Plaza de las Tendillas and this building was lit up above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Templo Romano. A work in progress.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The poster explains the project.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the wall of Córdoba's city hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the street from city hall, you see this...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and inside the gate, there's this. The gate opens half an hour before Mass begins.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From there we could see an interesting-looking building, which turned out to be the same one we'd walked by last night on the Plaza de Capuchinos.

Approaching the Plaza de Capucinos via Calle Cuesta de Bailio
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back down Calle Cuesta de Bailio
Heart 1 Comment 0

After that, we meandered towards the river and on the way passed the Museo de Bellas Artes. It wasn’t open but I took a peek in the courtyard.  Then it was back to our apartment.

Image not found :(
Córdoba
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Courtyard, Museo de Bellas Artes
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Córdoba
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our apartment was up this little dead-end alley. The sign advertises the restaurant we went to for a flamenco show on our last night.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThis place! This is the restaurant where I stranded Rachael 17 years ago. It’s one of our ‘favorite’ travel memories: https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/andalucia2004/cordoba/#17506_xwb5y11fju3gxk38m6k3vzctq8d
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonThat’s amazing. I remember reading the story, but we chose it because it was literally down the stairs and around the corner from our accommodation. No danger of getting lost!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetThis place again! I’d forgotten all about this great journal until you posted the routes in the forum for Steve. It’s great to reread it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Speaking of our apartment:  when I was checking reviews on Booking, there were some comments about noise from the restaurant downstairs. However, every potential accommodation in the area had similar comments so I decided to go with this one based on their quick response to my question about bike storage. Then, as it turned out, the restaurant downstairs was closed for vacation…until our last night. But it was one of those places that offers a free flamenco show during dinner so we thought, why not?

It hadn't been a silent stay, though. A dance school occupies the building across the alley and we got to listen to music every afternoon and evening until classes wrapped up around 9.  Quite nice, really. 

A few photos from the flamenco show:

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyLook at that blue sky, you are having great weather! We hope to head to southern Spain in April. I am enjoying your blog and taking notes! Thanks so much!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Carolyn van HoeveType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 years ago