Ardales to Antequera - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

December 4, 2021

Ardales to Antequera

We didn’t hear it until we opened the door to go down to the hotel restaurant. Then it was deafening.  The large room was packed with men in hunting attire, having breakfast, with many of them standing around, socializing and drinking from glasses that didn’t contain coffee or fruit juice.  We rather hoped they weren’t going in our direction!

A part of the restaurant was screened off and long tables set up for a hunters’ buffet breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many were over by the bar, keeping it busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And still more were outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road from Ardales to El Chorro was very scenic, especially the descent after the (temporarily closed) Caminetto del Rey reception area.  We were passed by several road cyclists, many it matching kit.  Most were travelling in the same direction as us, but faster and not stopping to gawk at the scenery.  

The reservoir isn’t even close to full at this time of year. The white line is a flock of sheep being herded through.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There weren’t many places to stop on the descent but I did; this is looking back up through the pine forest.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gawking at the Desfiladero de los Gaitanes and the Caminetto del Rey.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rachael AndersonGreat photo! I love the rainbow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Margie AndersonThat walkway is insane! But it would be a trip to try it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI’m disappointed we didn’t manage to do it. Maybe someday we’ll be passing through again. It might be worth flying somewhere via Malaga just to do that walk!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Another view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And zooming in on this bit of the Caminetto.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I’m so very disappointed we didn’t get to walk the Caminetto.  As I was riding along, I was wondering if it might be possible to stop over in Malaga to do it as an excursion on the way to, say, Sicily.  We shall see.

After El Chorro, our road got very steep.  Al rode it all, but I had to resort to pushing in a few places. Still very scenic. 

Above El Chorro
Heart 4 Comment 0

Over lunch in Valle de Abdalajis, we discussed the second half of our route.   The plan was to take a road east from here to La Hoya, then go north on MA4402 to connect with A343 to Antequera. However, a big climb was involved and the road to La Hoya wasn’t on our paper map.  I used RWGPS to create a route from Valle de Abdalajis to Antequera, thinking it would send us along A343 the whole way, so we’d get a comparison, but it not only suggested the route through La Hoya, it now said it wasn’t paved. Hmmm. It was very windy, so we opted for the known. As it turned out, A343 was freshly paved and included enough climbing for me (especially considering the wind).

Looking southeast on the road to Antequera
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we arrived at our hotel, we wondered if the fact we found a room there was not only due to its lack of online booking,  also because its street is completely dug up.  And maybe the rooms are inexpensive because it makes money with its bar.  The bar was jammed, with patrons eating and drinking in the hotel’s tiny reception area.  In any case,  our room is basic and a bit cramped with our bikes also in it, but quiet(!) and very good for the price.

Our hotel is on this street
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tower just appeals to me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back as we climb to the Alcazaba
Heart 3 Comment 0
The church at the Alcazaba needs some work—this the corner of its external wall. Perhaps that’s why the building seems to be a theatre now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across the town from the Alcazaba
Heart 2 Comment 0
On our way to find dinner, we saw the Christmas lights were on! We’ve been seeing municipal Christmas decorations everywhere, starting in Malaga when we arrived, but never turned on until now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,400 km (869 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0