Day 2 - let the cycling begin - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2023

Day 2 - let the cycling begin

Downhill and down wind, a cyclist’s dream

Today was a cyclist’s dream of downhill and down wind.  Even tough we descended 5900’ we still climbed 1500’ with a couple to steep and tough sections.  The worst part was the heat because it 32C/94F today with lots of humidity.  Fortunately a thunderstorm has come through so it will be better tomorrow.  As for the ride it was a blast to ride down the mountain road reaching a speed of 61kph.  It was tough to go faster when you are unsure of the road ahead. We are now in Chur Switzerland for the night but will spend tomorrow night in Austria.  

Here is the route that we will be riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today’s ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road that we road down. There is one of our 3 tandems in the photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just after we left the top when it was still a bit cool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the way down, I made sure the steeple did not come out of her head.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Benedictine monastery that dates back to 720AD.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Swiss hillside. In days gone by the farmers would store their cattle and hay in these buildings. This is no longer the practice but the buildings remain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lovely building in Ilanz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine gorge in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode a high mountain pass road that had several tunnels and avalanche sheds plus this part carved out of the rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of the Rhine gorge in this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old centre of Chur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new cycling jersey that I could not pass up because it was 50% off.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Me coming through the rock gap.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was a little dehydrated today so after 2L of water I had some of the local beer with dinner of spaghetti bolognese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local garden in Chur.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 1,479 km (918 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0