Day 10 - A very wet day to Karlsruhe - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2023

Day 10 - A very wet day to Karlsruhe

We left Strasbourg in a bit of a drizzle but the roads were pretty wet so we got wet.  After about 10km we took our rain coats off because it was too hot to wear them even in the rain.  We had 30km of gravel today as well so we were well and truly dirty as were our bikes.  The rain finally stopped until about 10km from Karlsruhe when the heavens opened and it poured on us.  The good news is that all the mud and debris on our bikes was washed off but we were soaked to the bone.  The lovely young man at the hotel brought out towels to us so we could dry off a bit before going inside.  I only used it on me and not my bike and the towel was soaked.  We did wipe down and dry our bikes and will lube the chains in the morning.

As for the ride it was not that exciting.  It was mostly small towns and farmers fields until we reached Karlsruhe.  Patti and I hiked the 2km into town to take a look and have dinner while the others just found food close and hung out here.

A total of 1243 km for the month of June.  I have not ridden that many kms in one month in a few years, felt good.

Mr Murphy is co-piloting the driver.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rhine with a tanker going one way and a flotilla of swans the other. We see man6 swans everyday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the locks on the Rhine with 2 ships heading south.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My dIrty feet at our lunch stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike in the pelting rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
I have been trying to capture a heron photo each day but when I stop they fly away, until today
Heart 1 Comment 0
A church in Karlsruhe
Heart 0 Comment 0
The grave of Karl Wilhelm II the founder of the city in 1715.
Heart 0 Comment 0
His castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 892 km (554 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hilary JaegerIs there a Velominati Rule that says it must rain on the day AFTER a rest day? Never on the day beforeā€¦
Reply to this comment
10 months ago