A full day in Lyon - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2023

A full day in Lyon

I have been to Lyon before but Derek and Linda have not so we took a walking tour this morning to learn about the area.  Even though I have been here before I stilled saw and learned things of which I was unaware.  The tour took use through many of the famous “Trabouls” created when Lyon was the centre of the silk production in France.  These narrow passageways, 500+ in total throughout Lyon, also severed as ways for resistance members to escape the Germans in WWII.  It is very warm here (30C) and we are still suffering from jet lag so we rested/slept this afternoon.  I put my bike together late this afternoon and we settled for a barley dinner.  Fortunately my bike arrived safe and sound.

Derek and Linda at our meeting place for the tour the Bartoli Fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same place but Derek and me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lyon is famous for its murals. This is one example with more to follow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Place does Terreaux where we met with the fountain and the Hotel de Ville (city hall).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Notre Dame Basilica from across the rivers. In the low ground the church of St John is visible
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another mural with many famous Lyonais on the various balconies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The other side of the same building
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again this is a mural
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pedestrian bridge across the river Soane, the only one the Germans did not destroy when retreating from Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of a Traboul complete with a well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the basilica from the old town and an example of street/building art that exists throughout Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church if St John
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of Lyon from the Basilica on the hill. There 2 rivers through Lyon, the Rhône and the Soane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Basilica of Notre Dame
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ceiling inside the basilica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another pedestrian bridge across the Soane
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike together and ready to travel. The bike bag is staying here for the next 2 weeks.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Hilary JaegerDon’t forget your pedals! (I assume they’re still off to make it easier to load in the car).
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0