Off to Montpelier - Six weeks in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

Off to Montpelier

After picking up our car, a lovely Volvo XC60, we drove to Montpellier.  Once there we checked into our hotel and wandered the old city.  It is a very vibrant city with many lovely squares where people just hang out with their friends for food and drink.  We went to a place recommended by the young man at the hotel.  Lucas speaks perfect English and he was completely delightful.  He gave us several recommendations for dinner but we settled on his favourite local pizza place.  The beer and pizza was great and it was clearly  a local place where tourists generally frequent which made it all the better.

Tomorrow we are off to Bagnère de Luchon for a week of hiking and cycling.

Our hotel for tonight
Heart 0 Comment 0
The French seem to love their carousels and this the one in Montpellier.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLOVE the carousels! ❤️ - must be my heritage.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Palais du Justice
Heart 0 Comment 0
Again the main entrance
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Porte du Peyrou is a monument dedicated to the glory of King Louis XIV of France, the ‘Sun King’. It was designed in 1690 by François d’Orbay, a French architect involved in some of France’s most iconic landmarks, notably Le Louvre and Versailles.The build was finished in around 1693 and is situated at the eastern end of the Jardins du Peyrou, on the foundations of the old city walls. In this sense, it is very similar to the Porte Saint-Martin in Paris; another beautiful triumphal arch located at the site of one of the gates of the capital’s ancient city walls.L’Arc de Trimophe is the entrance to the Royal Palace of the Peyrou. From the palace and Promenade du Peyrou, you can also walk to the Saint-Clément Aqueduct, with great views over to the east of Montpellier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The aqueduct near the botanical garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of the lovely old buildings here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The organ in St Peter’s church, this one is for you Bob.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonIn awe - cannot even imagine building it let alone what it sounds like. Magnificent.
Thanks for the photo - Bob
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Derek and Linda at our pizza location.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0