Le gite de Gaia to Fontainebleau - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2023

Le gite de Gaia to Fontainebleau

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a nice relaxing start to the day we set off for a quick run into Fontainebleau. Now that we have left the cycle paths behind our rides are going to get a few hills, something we have not seen for many miles. Todays ride had a small sample of what is to come with hills and more road traffic.

Our little village for the night was still quiet as we left in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back amongst the open fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hill climbs in Fontainebleau forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrive in Fontainebleau. We passed bus after bus parked along this road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went straight to the castle and Maddie said her jaw literally dropped when we came around the front and she saw it for the first time. It is an incredible castle and very spectacular.

Front of the castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Main entrance and monumental stair case.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We locked our bikes up outside only to walk into the courtyard and spy a bike rack just inside the gates. We took all our bags and found the locker room. After placing our bags in the locker we realized we need something out of one of them. As hard as we tried we could not get the locker door to open. I think this is a regular occurrence as one of the staff quickly used their electronic key to open the door so we could reset the code and try again. 

Once all the bags were stored it was off to experience the next section in our journey of French royalty starting with Napoleon I and moving forward. The displays were excellent and the audio guide provided a very informative description of the time and events that went on in the castle. 

Francois I wing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little too much decoration for my taste in a bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ballroom was very awe-inspiring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now that is a clock! Commission by Napoleon I.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It keep track of every thing include the moon and start signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one just caught my interest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huntress Dianna in the gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My wife on the steps.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After visiting the chateau we checked into our hotel room and then went out for a stroll around town. Many of the shops were open and we browsed as we walked around. We ended up back in the palace grounds looking around the main fountain and grand canal.

Diner was at Le Petit Ardoise in a beautiful restaurant street. Our host was very welcoming and supplied us English menus and spoke very good English. After another excellent meal we walked around the streets absorbing the atmosphere of the people enjoying the beautiful warm night.

Today's ride: 10 miles (16 km)
Total: 484 miles (779 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0