Chartres to Rouen - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2023

Chartres to Rouen

The B&B had a great breakfast fit for a cyclist with just one problem, we were not cycling. So needing to show some restraint I devowed only one of the delicious croissants and half a baguette with butter and jam.

We left our car at the B&B and walked up to the Cathedral. It was so pleasant to be back walking the small streets of Europe. We window shopped the many chocolaterie on the way to the Cathedral.

Chartres Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0

After our visit to the Cathedral we bumped into an English cyclist riding from London to Budapest. He was happy to know there were other cyclists around as he had not seen any yet. I think he must be off the beaten path as we have seen lots when driving in the car. 

By lunch time we were back on the road to Rouen. Rouen is the capital of Normandy and a much larger city than Chartres. We found our B&B and retrieved the keys for our promised parking spot. It turned out to be a very tight underground parking garage with the entrance only just wide enough for our car to pass down with a few inches to spare. Parking involved about a 40 point maneuver to gets into our spot, but we made it without any scratches on the car.

We spent the afternoon walking around Rouen and enjoying the sunshine. The weather is still on the cool side but at least the rain has stopped and it promises to get warm as we head down to Bordeaux. The old section of Rouen contains a lot of half timbered house and we walked through street after street of them just marveling at all the weird angles and bent timbers they built with.

Some of the half timbered houses complete with a military patrol and a restaurant covered in giant white bears.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rouen Cathedral, The second of many
Heart 2 Comment 0
le Gros Horloge or The Large Clock
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chocolate Barn & Chickens
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0