Amboise to Blois - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2023

Amboise to Blois

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was back to fully loaded touring. We have been talking about sending some clothes home as some items we were just not using enough to justify their weight on the bike. So our first stop this morning was the La Poste to get a box, fill in the customs declaration and mail our excess home. Our next stop was of course the fruit shop from last night to get some more of the excellent apricots.

We wandered around the streets of Amboise one last time before heading off on another beautiful cool morning. The girls might even say cold morning as both of them had their jackets on.

Bike path/road out of Amboise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kathy in front of Le Lavoir or communal clothes washing house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me helping one of the local farmers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddies impression of washing clothes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great route again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the bike route sign on the turn. No need for maps or GPS on this section. There was a marker on every corner and sometimes in between corners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our gravel section for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As it was a short ride today we were in no hurry and decided to look for a coffee stop. Maddie had looked at the towns along our route and had picked one that suggested it might have a suitable stop. I say suggested because even if there is a restaurant there is no guarantee it will be open as the French have a much better respect for their own personal time over making money. We have been to several places that should be open but when you turn up there is a small hand written sign saying closed for x days for holiday.

Today however we were in luck. The La Detente Gourmande was open. We had planned on just stopping for coffee as we had quiche for lunch already but upon seeing the menu and our fun waitress who spoke excellent English we quickly change the quiche to a dinner item and ordered some excellent food. Our waitress was very patient with us and we ended up quizzing her on French pronunciations and got an impromptu French lesson while ordering our lunch.

Lunch stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Table on the terrace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our after lunch ride was flat and beautiful. We continued on the bike path weaving through fields and along the river. We were again bike strolling with no need to hurry as our destination was close and the day was warm.

A well feed crew back on the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We got the wonderful smell of fresh cut hay from the field next to the bike path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers on a bridge on the way to Blois.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we arrived in Blois we quickly found our accommodation for the next three nights and then went off hunting for supplies. Our first grocery stop was a bust as they did not have any fresh milk so we headed across the bridge over the mighty Loire and into the old town were we found the supplies we needed.

The evening was very pleasant so we stopped for a drink in one of the bars looking down the old cobbled streets. The drink was not great but the sitting and watching was. The fruit vendor next to us had a cat so that kept Maddie entertained making international cat calling noises to try and get it to come over. Unfortunately I think it only spoke French so we did not get a visit.

We spent the evening watching the sun set over the old town from our accommodation across the river which has an outstanding view. I was too relaxed and forgot to take a photo but I will try to remember to get one tonight.

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 304 miles (489 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0