Chamboard - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2023

Chamboard

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a slow start to the day with coffee and enjoying the view of Blois from our B&B. It was going to be another glorious day of unloaded riding. The route I had mapped out followed along the cycle path in a relative straight line to the Chateau. As we did not have to book a time to see the inside of Chamboard we could take our time getting there.

Our first stop was La Passion du Fromage. Luckily for us the owners spoke English and we quickly selected a Valencay for a lunch at the chateau. Of course every good cheese needs a good baguette so our next stop was the boulangerie. We got a little distracted at the boulangerie and picked up sandwich, blue cheese baguette, pan aux chocolate and a pan aux chocolate et amandes. We were about to pay when we remember we only came in for a baguette so order one of those too.

Le Passion du Fromage
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made it the 100ft back to the chairs on the water front to eat our pastries and absorb the view of Blois some more. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful warm day, just sitting and watching the city go by was very pleasant.

Pan aux chocolat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie's bike photo of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike photo of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually we started to move and we joined the constant stream of bicycles heading along the bike path towards Chamboard. The path was good with a mix of pavement and crushed gravel. We worked our way through the suburbs and eventually made it back to the fields before we hit the edge of the 13,400 acres that make up the grounds of Chamboard.

Bike path to Chamboard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First view of Chamboard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look at all those spires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maddie riding to the entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We circled around the chateau so we could get a nice view as we approached and it did not disappoint. Chamboard is a massive chateau and one of my favorites due to the detail work in the towers and spires.

After sitting and taking in the view we went for a wander around looking for the bike parking. Instead we found a stall selling some of the best strawberries I have ever had. 

These did not remain in here for long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perfect strawberry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got close to the bike parking but decided it was too far away from the chateau so went back to the small bike rack we had seen next to the coffee shop close to the entrance.

Limpet stuck to Dorthy again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We visited the chateau for a couple of hours, climbing the double spiral staircase, viewing the bedrooms and hunting rooms and eventually ending up on the roof for some great views of the gardens.

Kitchen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They made 7 of these carriages and they were never used.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cupola on top of double spiral stair case.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Top of the front tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over the parade ground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View over the French garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0

No visit to a chateau is complete without the consumption of a delicious apricot tart in the garden. Luckily one had mysteriously appeared in my handle bar bag shortly after the boulangerie stop this morning. We selected a suitable bench in the French garden and sat and enjoyed both the tart and the view.

The girls wanted to take a quick route back in to town so out came the trusty komoot to plan a road cycling route to Blois. Komoot did not disappoint and we had a 10.8mile sprint pulling an average speed of 18 m/hr.

Back in Blois we went looking for some pre made food to take back to our B&B for the night and Maddie found a nice Moussaka. While walking around town we got to watch the gay pride parade go up and down the street with lots of shouting, cheering and singing.

Maddie the dare devil riding down the stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How Limpet actually got down the stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gay pride parade.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was such a pleasant evening we stopped in the square for a drink and to do some people watching. We all went for soft drinks this time and sat and enjoyed the early evening.

We wanted to augment the Moussaka with some salads but in the end only found more bread and a pear tart. With more bread we obviously need more cheese so another stop at La Passion Du Fromage on the way home. Maddie disappeared into the shop having great fun trying different cheeses and eventually selecting another great one along with some butter.

Now that's a good size piece of coarsely salted butter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheese, olives and salted butter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
tarte aux poires.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our day finished much as it had started, watching the sun move over the beautiful city of Blois.

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 326 miles (525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooIt sounds like a perfect day !
Reply to this comment
10 months ago