Plan E out the window. Onto Plan F. - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2023

Plan E out the window. Onto Plan F.

Siena to Bologna

Even though we have  five days to get back to Verona, we’re starting to get a little worried as to how to get back there. Today and tomorrow’s forecast is more blackbird than bluebird but at this stage Sunday and Monday look pretty good. We had decided to head east to Rimini (Plan E) on the Adriatic coast as we thought the weather there was better than anywhere else. That was until the news reported that Rimini had cataclysmic flooding. So Plan F is to go to the Sienna train station and work out how to get the hell out of this joint.

We haven’t seen much of the news but this really is a devastating flood.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 5 Comment 0

On the way we stop at the Cathedral for a quick look. Who do we run into but the French family from the last nights debacle. We have a good old chat and a chuckle over our improbable coming together. We rode on to the station outside the walled centre.

I’m glad I didn’t rob their apartment. This would have been a sheepish meeting.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

They were very helpful at the ticket office. We’ve decided to train it to Bologna despite it seemingly being the epicentre of this weather event. The trains are back up and running so we manage to get a route with only 3 changes which gets us in to Bologna by 3pm. Could this be the early finish we have been searching for?

As it turns out by four o’clock  we were ensconced in our rather drab apartment. The bonus was it did have three bedrooms. I was assigned the ‘Paris’ room whilst John got the ‘London’ room, which looked deceptively similar to mine. Franklin got the ‘Crap’ room as he had the ‘Monte Carlo’ room last night.

I can almost see the Eiffel Tower from the window.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

‘Windy’ is a weather App that John put Franklin onto and he has become an expert (and obsessed) in a very short time. Franklin confidently predicts that the weather might be turning with mid twenties and sunshine predicted by Sunday. There’s still devastating flooding not thirty kilometres away yet here in Bologna it’s just wet. Tonight we’re heading out for the obvious dish in a little trattoria just around the corner.

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 1,581 km (982 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rosie WindsorJust caught up on last 10 days. Just love the adventure thank you Den! Bologna has the best gelato up near the oldest uni in Europe
Thanks for the laughs. Have a bluebird day!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Dennis LangleyWe’re having a good time. Not long left now.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago