A day in Bastia - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2018

A day in Bastia

walking in the old town

Pat organized a walking tour that hit all the major sights of the port city of Bastia. It included the main areas of the historic town - the squares, the monuments, the castles, the fortifications and of course the shopping areas. Bastia has them all.

We skipped breakfast except for the traditional coffee stop, but lunch was memorable at a restaurant frequented by the locals. I love these small venues that have a day to day menu of 3 to 4 items  on a chalkboard and they are all good. We had a tomatoe  salad and the chicken au gratin. Delicious.

Then back to the hotel for some ride planning. We want to ride north along  the coastal road of Cap Corse, across the peninsula and back down the western side. Accomodation opportunities are limited as the towns in this area are quite small and the tourist season is over.. We decided to ride to Porticcillio first, then to Cannelle and then to Saint Florent. The distances are short but we have found a place to stay in each town.

We enjoyed our time in Bastia. Here are a few of the pictures we took .

This is the doorway to the home of a family who did well in the textile business in Bastia. Carved in the rock above the entrance is "COL TEMPO". Time heals all. Good words to live by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love these old decrepit buildings. It is interesting how they maybe stratas now as some sections get renewal and others not so much.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Note the flower pot funnel added to the drain stack for easy access to the drainage system.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another in its natural state of decay but always the required "dish" wiring!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Five windows with shutters.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pat is thinking that there is a coffee table book coming out soon "Renovating Old European Buildings".  We certainly have enough pictures  to fill one!

Bastia has these cool old replica gas lights as their street lighting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local craft beers. Will look for an opportunity to sample some of these! The standard here is Pietra and it is pretty good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Remember the truck chaisis picture that I thought would make a good food truck? Looks like this is the same model selling smelly cheese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat at the gates of Palais des Governeurs. I like Bastia as the buildings have a natural patena to them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clock tower in the Palais des Governeurs. The top markings are actually a sun dial.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of churches in Bastia. Not sure of the name of this one but a very impressive interior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The alter from the church shown above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old marina in Bastia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A narrow street in Bastia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main street in the pedestrian area of Bastia with the lights on at night. As the tourist season is ending, many shops are closed and families are out for an evening stroll.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the ferry in the port while we enjoy an evening drink in St. Nicholas square. It is a busy port with many ferries coming and going.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0