A day in Ajaccio - It's late September and I really should be back on tour - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2018

A day in Ajaccio

Our last day on Corsica

We are staying in the old quarter of Ajaccio at the end of a very lively street filled with bars from one end to the other.  The weather is still warm in the evenings and  the outside bar seating areas are packed. With our window open we could hear the sounds till the early morning hours.

Our street is basically bars from top to bottom. Nice warm nights and a great place for a beer.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the morning we left our hotel with no real plan of attack but spent our time wandering with the goals of getting more euros, fixing Scott's watch strap and finding some packing materials to prepare our bikes for the short flight  back to the mainland tomorrow.

A very old bibliotheque with some books dating back to the 1600's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This vintage bike was just for show out front of a store but I loved the childs seat and foot rest. It has a fuel burning lamp of some type on the front bars
Heart 0 Comment 0
A large market in one of the squares had an olive stall. So many types and they are so good here!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The four lions fountain in Ajaccio.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By noon, will all three errands completed, we turned our sights to the house where Napoleon Bonaparte was born and his family lived. It was an interesting history museum that we enjoyed.

Napoleon Bonaparte was born here. A grand but modest home full of history. Lots of security personnel at this museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat hamming it up with Napol. His hat makes him appear taller than he really is.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After some lunch we walked  out of the old  quarter and toward the west through a more residential area and then back along the beaches and waterfront. 

Trottel beach along Ajaccio's waterfront. Still warm enough to be on the beach or go for a swim. But not many people here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Always so patient.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ajaccio old quarter. Nice area in which to stay when in Ajaccio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat says that when she is Queen of Ajaccio, the onstreet parking along the beach side wall will be removed in favour of a path for cyclists and pedestrians. Hard to imagine that cars can park right at the beach and the sidewalk is only a metre wide..... especially in a town for tourists!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the hotel, Scott went to work wrapping and taping up the Bike Fridays before putting them in their carry bags. For dinner we chose the Microbrasserie Imperiale where they brew two beers. They had a couple of beers on tap and some good pub style food. We had a tasty vegetarian bruschetta and a plate of "beignets" -described to us as fritters. They were yummy deep fried doughy  zucchini and onion morsels. Certainly good for soaking up beer!  My last order was a pint of their amber ale but they had just run out so our waiter brought a pint of blonde on the house!

Our menu this evening can quickly be memorized.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These are the beignets. So nutritious...... not!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at our hotel we made the final preparations for tomorrow's early departure and said our last good-byes to the beautiful island of Corsica.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0