Stucken - Potsdam - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2009

Stucken - Potsdam

In our pension Fliederhof we are served an excellent breakfast with fresh fruit, cold meats, cheese, eggs, different kinds of bread, jam and honey, coffee and tea - all the things that are included when a German-style breakfast is well done. And the sun is streaming in through the window which makes it all the more enjoyable.

It's a pretty ride to Potsdam past lovely meadows dappled with wild flowers.

On the way to Potsdam
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lovely countryside as we approach Potsdam
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're glad we didn't cycle the last kilometers into Potsdam yesterday afternoon. This is more of a city than we've had to deal with so far. We enter Potsdam near the train station, a disorienting section of the city which is largely a construction site. We're not too sure where the historic center is but fortunately find a tourist information office in the train station. Armed with maps, we quickly find our way to the pedestrian zone of Potsdam which in the past few years has become a popular tourist destination. Again here are many beautifully restored houses from the early 1900's. The prices are higher than elsewhere so far, but our B&B is almost next door to Sanssouci and its extensive gardens, the former summer palace of Frederick the Great.

It's a short ride on our bikes from our room to the beautiful Sanssouci Park where we spend the rest of the afternoon.

Sanssouci is the former summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. It was built between 1745 and 1747 to fulfill King Frederick's need for a private residence where he could relax away from the pomp and ceremony of the Berlin court.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI recently visited Sanssouci when on vacation in Berlin - - it was lovely!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The palace, located on top of a terraced vineyard, is little more than a large single-storey villa
Heart 0 Comment 0
The large baroque Neues Palais, or New Palace, is in contrast to the more modest Sanssouci Palace, an imposing sumptuous palace containing more than 200 lavishly decorated rooms. Commissioned by King Frederick the Great, it was intended to solidify Prussia's status as a powerful nation.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI visited Neues Palais also - but only had about 45 min inside, as they were closing soon. That was a fast run-through!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Das Neue Palais, side view
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the park of Sanssouci
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the park of Sanssouci
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the park of Sanssouci
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Chinesisches Teehaus (Chinese Teahouse) in Sanssouci Park was erected in 1757 in the Chinese style, which was all the rage at the time
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe Chinese Teahouse was closed when I was there that day - nice to see your picture. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
An 18th century idea of a Chinese tea party
Heart 0 Comment 0
Figure at the Chinese Teahouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
The park of Sanssouci is notable for its numerous temples and follies
Heart 1 Comment 0
Schloss Charlottenhof, in the southern part of Sanssouci Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
When Frederick the Great died, the park fell into neglect. After 50 years, another Prussian king, Friedrich Wilhelm IV, engaged the great Berlin architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel to build this small palace, Schloss Charlottenhof.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Looking for our evening meal, we discover an interesting part of Potsdam, the Dutch Quarter. An attempt was made to attract Dutch craftsmen in the mid-18th century and a whole section of town was built in a Dutch style. Today there are many restaurants, cafes and boutiques in these picturesque streets lines with red brick houses.

The Dutch Quarter in Potsdam, which covers an area of four city blocks with about 150 houses built of red bricks in the Dutch style
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 738 km (458 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0