Selsingen - Sandstedt - To France the Long Way - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2009

Selsingen - Sandstedt

Rain in the morning, but not for long. Soon the clouds part and the sun finds its way. Before we leave Selsingen, we find the post office and send home a little package of clothing we don't need, as well as maps and books.

Before we have traveled far, we come across an open air farm museum, the Moorhof-Museum, set in the flat landscape of moors and heath and peat bogs.

Farmhouse at the Moorhof open air museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of the farm house
Heart 0 Comment 0
The farmers cut peat from the bogs for fuel
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI remember seeing these peat bogs in Ireland. :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Neatly cut peat
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barn at the open air museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our ride is flat, the sun is shining, headwinds, which will accompany us until the end of our trip, have started to kick in. All in all pleasant, but not exciting, cycling.

Our ride today treats us to flowers, bike paths and sunshine
Heart 1 Comment 0
A small side road paved with bricks circumvents the main road and traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the roadside we often see potatoes and vegetables for sale. You help yourself and leave the money in a little box. It seems no one is worried that the money might be stolen or that someone might take the goods without paying.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another roadside surprise - llamas. Did we get off the track?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are convinced we will find a room in Sandstedt but the town is very small, it has neither restaurant nor rooms to rent. But it has a camping ground! And it isn't raining - perfect. Tonight we camp. Sandstedt is situated on the Weser River, about 20 km inland from the North Sea. It has a lighthouse, the river has tides and it almost feels like we are on the coast.

In Sandstedt behind the dike on the Weser River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hurrah! Finally we are camping.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We set up our tent and then discover that the little camping restaurant isn't open today. Of course, once again we are caught with no food in our panniers. As a last resort we quickly cycle to the little sausage stand we saw in the parking lot outside the camping ground. Just in the nick of time - we get sausages, french fries and a beer before they close.

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,290 km (801 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, saved by the sausage stand!! :) :) :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago