Overview Map of Honeymoon ride - Racpat 1995 Honeymoon Ride - CycleBlaze

July 8, 1995

Overview Map of Honeymoon ride

In May, 1995 Patrick flew into Chicago with his bicycle and a suitcase. Rachel met him in the airport and we drove to the home of Rachel's mother in Cowden IL.

We take a drive to Niagra Falls and then visit a friend of Patrick's in Toronto. On the way back to Cowden we decide to marry.  We do a day bike ride through Central Illinois. Rachel looks into job interviews in the NW.

With the help of Friends, Beth and Laura, we arrange the wedding and reception from a distance and then when we drive through Missoula on the way to Boise and Seattle for interviews. The first interview in Boise is with a nurse who Rachel knew from working in the OR at the University of Washington.

We like the location of Boise, being very central where a 10 hour drive in any direction would get us to the coast, Seattle, Yellowstone, Parks in Utah and Northern California. As we pass the Visitor Center of Mt St. Helen's, on the way to another interview, if Rachel accepts the job offer we could sightsee instead. Patrick is sure he can find a job in Boise, Rachel arranges to start work in late August so we can do a Honeymoon ride.

We return to Missoula and marry on a bridge over Rattlesnake Creek in Greenough Park, July 8, 1995. The reception is in a local hotel where the music from Out of Africa plays continuously at our request. Rachel in Brisbane in November in 1993 went to a local health clinic to find out what vaccinations she would need if she cycled in Africa with Patrick. On the elevator up to the office, Out of Africa was playing, she asked the receptionist what that my mean...should she go or stay out of Africa. She met up with Patrick January of 1994 in Capetown. 

We did a 5 week honeymoon ride and at the time didn't write a journal so the tour is in pictures.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0