Toobeah - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2024

Toobeah

Back on the bikes after a few day's rest.  

A late start - we only got out of Goondiwindi after ten - because we only had fifty flat kilometers to cover.  

We had heard that Queensland's roads were in poor condition but the Barwon Highway from Goondiwindi to Toobeah is the best road we have ridden so far.  While the shoulder was narrow, the surface was mostly excellent and the road itself wider than most of the roads we traveled on in New South Wales.  Traffic was moderately heavy to start off with but soon died down to a trickle. 

There wasn't much to see along the way but it helped that there was much more natural vegetation than cultivated fields.  The fly count was also much lower so we didn't have to cover our faces with buffs.

An old cemetery out in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got to Toobeah around one thirty and checked into the hotel.  Eleanor,  the young lady at reception had an accent straight out of Yorkshire and quoted the price in quid and not dollars.

Heart 2 Comment 0

I took a stroll around the settlement, making note of the number of buildings.  Eight houses, a hotel and some grain silos.  To be a hamlet or not to be a hamlet? 

The hotel itself is pretty crappy. If we hadn't booked and paid via Booking.com yesterday we probably wouldn't have stayed here.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
A hundred and ten dollars for this ?!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're taking some back roads to Westmar, about eighty kilometers north of here, tomorrow.  Hopefully we'll have a relatively cotton field free ride again.

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,209 km (1,372 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0