Coonamble - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 9, 2024

Coonamble

The caravan park in Gulargambone has the most amazing kitchen and common area that we have seen in Australia so far.  It is enormous.  There is a large fire pit with lots of tables and chairs spread across two dining areas.  The owners seem to be very social people and try to get their guests to join them for happy hour every evening.  

Fire pit front and center. Apparently it burns all day long in winter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Empty wine bottles bear testimony to happy hours gone by.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Gulargambone's name is apparently derived from the Wiradjuri word for "place of the Gallahs". Symbols and paintings of Gallahs are all over the town (and on commemorative wine bottles).
Heart 1 Comment 0
To call someone a Gallah in Australia is not considered to be complimentary but Gulargambone is proud of its symbol
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another interesting monument in Gulargambone, "The Ghosts of Bullocks Past"! Made primarily from chicken wire.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride to Coonamble was unexciting but  flat and easy, particularly with the assistance of a wind on our left shoulders.   We really should have pushed on another thirty or forty kilometers today but finding a place to sleep would have been difficult.  We're camping at a rather rustic farm-based campground a few kilometers north of the town.  

It's a hundred and ten kilometers to the next town from here, a bit to far for one day given the shorter days and our riding speed, but there seems to be a good wild camping spot on the Castlereagh River about seventy kays away that we will aim for instead.

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,307 km (812 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0