Binnaway - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2024

Binnaway

The weather forecast for this morning was for rain starting at around seven and intensifying into the afternoon.  I awoke at four o'clock to the sound of light rain but it soon stopped so I went back to sleep.  We started packing soon after six but when it got lighter we could see only partly cloudy skies with little sign of rain to come.  So we finished packing up in a more leisurely fashion and got riding at about eight,  very happy that the tent was dry when it got packed away.

After about eight kilometers the rain started and kept on falling, heavily at times, throughout the rest of the ride.  We took a couple of breaks under the vague shelter of some trees but eventually just kept riding because it clearly wasn't going to let up.

Wet and bedraggled.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first twenty nine kilometers climbed steadily on the road between Mendooran and Coonabarabran and was quite busy with a fair number of Easter Weekenders making a longer holiday out of the weekend.   At Mollyann, the highest point, we turned off to Binnaway and had a far more enjoyable ride that was mostly downhill. The rain even slacked off enough for us to remove our rain trousers (which we mostly wear to keep our shoes dry).

We had planned to camp at the free campground in Binnaway but with it being so wet we decided to head to the local hotel where seventy dollars got us a forty dollar room for the night (it's that crummy).

The rain continued on and off for the rest of the afternoon but I  managed to squeeze in a short walk around the town between  showers.

The Exchange Hotel, Binnaway in a spell of bright blue skies.
Heart 5 Comment 0
An interesting old series of grain silos on the edge of town.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The hotel has a small kitchen next to the shared ablution facilities out back but it was just a lot easier to buy some beer and gravy rolls from the bar.

Tomorrow we head for Coonabarabran.  Heavy rain is predicted for Thursday and Friday,  the days we wanted to go into the Warrumbungles NP so we might have to reassess our plans.

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,101 km (684 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0