Injune - The fifteenth step ... Four months in Australia - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2024

Injune

The rest area was rather noisy last night but we slept well enough.   A refrigerator truck arrived at about two in the morning and had its compressor running constantly that was rather irritating but it did mask the noise from the highway about fifty meters away.

A pair of Torresian Crows (Corvus orru were hanging around looking fir scraps this morning. I love their white eyes
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were on the road before eight, cursing the traffic which was uncomfortably busy at times.  It helped that we had a short day and that the route was physically undemanding.  Importantly,  there was a shoulder, mostly rather narrow,  for most of the ride.  Being a short ride, we had tine to stop at a few interesting places along the way.  Even so  we were in Injune before eleven thirty.

Crossing the Great Dividing Range was rather underwhelming. I wasn't aware it was happening until Leigh pointed out the sign.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mike AylingYes, the only thing great about it is the length.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jean-Marc StrydomIt is apparently the longest range in a single country!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
At what used to be the village of Gunnewin, there is a memorial to the original settlers who were given land here by the government for their services during World War One.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Each stone has a plaque with the names of the settlers who were granted land, grouped by their parish.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Surprisingly there was a parish called Springbok.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just south of injune was a rather nondescript memorial to the coal mine that operated here during the first half of the past century.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After setting up in the town's campground (which seem to take a lot longer than usual) we strolled off to look at the steam locomotive placed at what used to be the train station.  The railway only arrived here in 1920 and had shut down by 1967.  A lot of hard work for only forty six years of service. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Locomotive 824  on display here,  was involved in Queensland's worst railway disaster on the 5th of May 1947 when it left the rails near Camp Mountain north west of Brisbane resulting in sixteen deaths.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 It is more than a hundred fifty tough kilometers from here to Carnarvon Gorge so tomorrow wiil be a long day ending in a wildcamp. 

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,646 km (1,643 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0