Resistencia - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2022 to September 18, 2022

Resistencia

We escaped the hell hole that was our digs in Corrientes and headed over the bridge across the Rio Panana to Resistencia, something I wouldn't want to have to do again.  There was a strong north wind blowing and the bridge was choc-a-block heavy vehicles.  They were seldom more than an arm's reach away from us and it was with a sense of relief when we reached the other side and entered the province of El Chaco.

Across the bridge but not yet safe.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our digs in Resistencia couldn't be more different from what we had on the other side of the river if the owner's life depended on it.  Spotlessly clean and with great facilities, it is just what we need to recover from the long ride from Posadas.  It also has cable TV making it possible for us to watch the Springboks' penultimate match in The Rugby Championship against Argentina.

Los Pumas and the Springboks line up for the national anthems before the test in Buenos Aires.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It took us a while to get the cable TV working and to find the correct channel but it was sorted out with enough time to enjoy the game with a few beer and a bowl of peanuts.   For the record, the Springboks won 36-22 scoring a bonus point try in the dying minutes to share top of the table with the New Zealand  All Blacks with one round to go in the competition. 

The win by the Springboks was an early birthday present for Leigh so on her birthday we went out to a coffee shop to celebrate.  To round it off I cooked a dinner of Argentinian steak and fresh veggies washed down with a local Malbec. All in all a good celebration and a good break.

Three different ice creams plus biscotti and merengues for Leigh. A rather way out cuppacino and a simple factura with apple slices for me.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next five days promise fresh to strong headwinds so it is likely that the going will be slow for a while.   If we find a nice campsite we might rest up and wait for better wind conditions otherwise we will just have to struggle on. 

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 739 km (459 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonHappy birthday, Leigh!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomLeigh says "Thank you!".
Reply to this comment
1 year ago