El Bolsón - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

November 24, 2022

El Bolsón

A chilly start to the day, with signs of fresh snow on the mountains around El Foyel.  We soon warmed up after about nine kilometers when presented with the only real climb of the day, an ascent of about a hundred and sixty meters.  After that it was a mineshaft ride all the way down to El Bolsón, a drop of about five hundred and sixty meters.

The views of snow capped mountains keep on coming at us.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The lupins are starting to flower.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Halfway down the descent we came across this waterfall,  the Cascada de la Virgin.  Soon after this a strong headwind started blowing and we had to peddle hard despite going downhill. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
The elevation chart from Google.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had the impression that El Bolsón would be quite special but it is rather nondescript.  Spread over many kilometers along Ruta Cuarenta, it is rather dusty and far busier than the hippy outpost it is touted to be.  We cycled through to the southern end of town to look for a campsite,  finally settling on Camping la Chacra.  We have a nice grassy pitch under some walnut trees.  The campground was rather quiet until dusk when a number of Argentinian campers arrived.  Being located right next Ruta Cuarenta, as are most of the campgrounds, there is a fair amount of traffic noise but it is close to a La Anonima supermarket and makes for an easy escape from El Bolsón in the morning. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 3,870 km (2,403 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0