Edelira 28 - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2022

Edelira 28

Today's ride was much the same as we have had on the preceding days in Paraguay.  Except it was strangely better.  There was still lots of traffic on the PY06 but less than before.  There were even periods of no traffic at all although those didn't last long.  The hills were still there but they were now fewer in number and longer in distance.  The wind was blowing gently from the north east so it was in our favor as well.

Still lots of intensive agriculture but also more signs of natural vegetation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The best parts of the ride were two long downhills in which the wide shoulder was in perfect condition and lacking the rumble strips that usually appear every few hundred meters.  So we were able to enjoy all the benefits of the climbs preceding those two descents.

Paraguay is a bit like Cornwall and Devon in that all the towns are placed at the top if the highest hill in the area.  This means we finished the ride with a slog up to Edelira 28.  Yes, that is the name of the town.  In the general area one can also find the towns of Edelira 20 and Edelira 60.  It's a mystery to me.

Google Maps showed a nice looking hospedaje called Hospedaje Mabel.  We knocked on the door and were greeted by an eager looking young woman.  Our request for a room for the night was met with a look of confusion. Another older lady appeared and said none were available but one would be one available at five o'clock.  Then she wanted to know how long we needed the room. "The whole night? Sorry, that wouldn't be possible. "

After a look at a filthy hovel across the road we thought we should simply carry on and camp somewhere along the road but the next service station offering decent facilities (and I wanted a shower) was another forty kilometers further on.  So we checked out the remainder hospedaje that hadn't received the best score on Google Maps.  It turned out to simple but sparkling clean and had a great restaurant to boot.  So we checked in and sat down to a flavoursome lunch of chicken and rice washed down with a large bottle of Corona. It was almost like being back in Mexico except that the tortillas and frijoles were missing.

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 259 km (161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0