Confluence of the Rio Baker and Rio Neff Wildcamp - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

December 21, 2022

Confluence of the Rio Baker and Rio Neff Wildcamp

It rained through much of the night and was still raining this morning.   Thankfully the sun came out while we were breakfasting on scrambled eggs and pan bought from the lady of the house and the tent was dry by the time we left.

The chaotic farmyard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Greenhouse and cherry trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sheep guard dog in training.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The smelly but otherwise comfortable quincho. The fridge in the corner (hidden from view in this picture) was running at a nice cold temperature but smelled as if something had died in it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our original plan was to take four days between Rio Tranquilo and Cochrane which meant tonight would have been spent camping at Cerro Color. But with us going a bit further yesterday we decided to make Puerta Bertrand our stop for the night.  

Crossing the Puente General Carrera where Lago General Carrera meets Lago Betrand.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lago Betrand.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride up to Cerro Calor and then the climbs out of Lago Betrand were hard work but we eventually reached the descent into Puerto Bertrand.  By the time we got there we had decided to push on further. We stocked up on some groceries,  wolfed done a couple of ham and cheese sandwiches for a late lunch and then set out to look for a home for the night.   We have ended up wild camping at the top of a steep hill above the confluence after finding the campground we had stayed at before was now permanently closed.

Rio Baker is all its blue glory.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view of the confluence of the Baker and Neff from our campsite. I had to make two trips down to the river to have a wash and to collect water.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Cochrane is now only about thirty five kilometers away so we should be there tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 4,902 km (3,044 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0