Cayastá - The thirteenth step ... Six months in South America - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2022

Cayastá

We had a long day ahead of us with fresh south-easterly winds forecast for the day.  It took ages to check out because Mercedes, the kind lady-of-all-jobs, was struggling get my information into their computer system to generate an invoice.  It seemed it only catered for Argentinian identification numbers.  In the end we left her to it and cycled off to buy some bread for the road, eventually only getting away at about eight o'clock.

Despite the delay we took time off to bird along the way.

Rufous Horneros (Furnarius rufus) also known as ovenbirds from the shape of their mud nests. The power lines are a favourite place for nesting.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I spotted a Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle and stopped next to it hoping it would fly off so I could get shots of it in flight but it just stayed put and stared at me from all angles as I walked around it.  Leigh was disappearing down the road so I had to leave it on it perch and try to catch up with her.

Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then we came upon a pair of Savanna Hawks mating.

Savanna Hawks (Buteogallus meridionalis)
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWow. What a shot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Scott AndersonNothing like a bit of avian porn to spice up one's day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Once he had had his way with her he took off.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It wasn't only birds. We found this poor Greater Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris) tethered on the roadside. One can only imagine what it's fate will be.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Traffic was still light and considerate.  Maybe these signs are having an effect.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leigh often takes time off to talk to cows and horses. There is lot of expensive Argentinian beef in this picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The schools all have numbers and some have names. This one is "Seven Bosses". Sounds like a Strydom family gathering.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached Helvicia, a town twelve kilometers from Cayastá, in time to find an open grocery store.  Siesta time often means they are all  closed when we arrive at our destination for the day.  So I was able to stock up on groceries for the next few days.

While I was buying groceries Leigh was looking at the Giant Mate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The turnoff westwards towards Miramar (still more than a hundred kilometers away) is just before Cayastá.  There is a very good YPF there with a great area to pitch a tent but we decided to use the hotel across the road because we will certainly  be wild camping tomorrow  night.   

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,260 km (782 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Elspeth JarmanI am loving all your amazing bird pictures. You do very well to capture them so perfectly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Elspeth JarmanThanks Elspeth.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago