Mad Dogs and Englishmen - 12X26 - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2021

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Day 1

Had originally planned to begin riding on 8/18 but the weather forecast called for a change in plans.  New plan was to ride Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday taking Thursday as a rain day.  Knew today would be HOT with forecast for low 90's.  Figured I would start early and beat the heat.  Instead of riding end to end, I decided to do a bit of a flip flop...start5 miles north of Custer on day one riding south to Edgemont  taking advantage of the terrain.  Beautiful start...64 degrees under a wonderful canopy.  Should have suspected that would not last.  The last 25 miles had little to no shade and it was getting awfully HOT.  By the time I pulled into Edgemont I was absolutely spent.  I had planned on 4.5 hours to cover 50 miles with some time for a couple of short breaks.  The reality...more like 5.5 hours.  The forecast was correct...it did get HOT...but no one mentioned  Edgemont would be triple digits.  We checked our phones, the outside temp. from the truck and, for good measure, the local bartender...anywhere from 102 to 106!!

I had planned to begin riding north from where I started today with a goal of finishing on Friday with a short 17 mile day.  After today, I am retooling tomorrow's ride with some additional flip flopping and finishing on Friday which now appears to be a rainy day...but way cooler!

Let Day 1 Begin
Heart 1 Comment 1
Marilyn HarveySeventy four must be the new 44! You can show those obnoxious millennials that Boomers are still going strong. I look forward to your next post.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Great Views Right Out Of The Box
Heart 1 Comment 0
Views Kept Coming
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trail Shelters spaced along the trail. Provided the only place to take a break for some food and hydration. Most have cisterns!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wide Open Trail Through Rolling Prairies
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sheep's Canyon Near End of Today's Ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,119 miles (1,801 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan RodriguesAbsolutely incredible!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago