Anyone ride the Seawall Blvd on Galveston Island - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Anyone ride the Seawall Blvd on Galveston Island

Jerry Roberson

Planning a trip along the Gulf in Texas. I was wondering if anyone here has ever ridden the Seawall Blvd from Surfside Beach to Galveston Beach. I drove it over 20 years ago in my car but never tried biking it. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Wayne EstesTo Jerry Roberson

Google satellite view shows a wide shoulder. It looks decent going northeast because there would be little or no cross traffic.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Jerry RobersonTo Wayne Estes

Yeah, I have looked at Google maps and driven it years ago. Sure is a lot more homes and traffic now. I don't ride in cities anyways during rush hour or lunch. It is on the gulf coast so I can walk on the beach and eat fish and some seafood.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Wayne EstesTo Jerry Roberson

I have biked on several densely developed coastal routes in the eastern US. For example A1A on the Atlantic coast of Florida and barrier islands on the New Jersey shore. Those routes are crowded and congested, but I think they are very safe to pedal as long as you keep the ocean on your right to minimize cross traffic. My perception was that the relentless congestion can be beneficial to cyclists because it slows the traffic. Motorists seldom drive faster than 30 mph because of the congestion.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago
Jerry RobersonTo Wayne Estes

I have ridden US-17 from Brunswick, GA and A1A down to Miami. The speed isn't what scares me, it is people on the cell phones. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 weeks ago