Would like to hear about the pros and cons of tandem trikes (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Would like to hear about the pros and cons of tandem trikes (page 2)

Mike AylingTo [deleted user]

Andrea

Weight matters. A racing bike weighs less than 20 pounds and is very easy to ride, until you try to ride fast uphill!

Anyway good luck with your search.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
[deleted user]To Mike Ayling

Thanks, Mike.  :-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
[deleted user]To [deleted user]

Any opinions on this one that is available on Craigslist in my area used?  Any red flags from reading their info?  It looks from the photos like it is very solid and has some features that might be beneficial given my DILs health concerns. 

They only mention the mfr of some parts, so custom built by the owners, I would guess?

My DIL is short, about 5ft 2", and my son is about 5ft 8" in case that makes a difference...

ADAPTIVE  Tandem Recumbent Trike - $1,876 (Chevy Chase/Bethesda)

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/d/washington-adaptive-tandem-recumbent/7722543604.html

...I am kind of liking the dragon's head at the front  :-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Mike AylingTo [deleted user]

Hi Andrea

Within your budget so definitely worth a look.

2008 model so 15 years old.

Not custom built manufacturer said to be Custom Engines.

Surface rust might be an issue. look carefully at the whole bike. any rust blisters are usually more than just surface and you should walk away.

Are your son and DIL into DIY repairs to be able to rub down and repaint the frame?

May be able to bargain the price a bit.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
[deleted user]To Mike Ayling

Ah. I didn't recognize Custom Engines as a brand name.

My son and his wife have done a number of home repairs, but I don't think either of them has done anything bike related .  But they seem to have a knack for picking things up quickly, so I think if all it needs is sanding and re-painting that should be doable for the two of them.

We will definitely take a close look and keep an eye out for rust blisters.  Thanks a bunch  :-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo [deleted user]

Long-time trike rider here. 

Organic Engines was a one-man band back in the day, but most people liked them if they could get them. This one needs work, especially getting rid of the rust. If you or yours are willing to do that, then this might be a good option. I would check out what they mean when they said about taking it apart for transport. Also, that thing would not fit in what would be a normal little hatchback these days, but a minivan more like.

I also recommend joining the message board on BROL that Kelly mentioned. Lots of people there with knowledge to share. 

Hase trikes can be connected so the two trikes become a tandem, then separate so Jonah could ride solo sometimes if he wants. Having two separate trikes to transport is easier than one long one like the fabulous Greenspeed tandem. (Greenspeed was originally an Australian company but bought by Wizwheelz in Michigan when the founder passed away a few years ago.)

Look at Hostel Shoppe too for ideas. They are a retailer. 

Feel free to write me at kleen at sonic net with questions.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
[deleted user]To Kathleen Jones

Thanks!

Someone from bikeforums.net had also suggested the Hase trikes.  They are quite expensive, but I think the idea of having something that could be separated or joined as desired would be a nice option, so definitely worth keeping an eye out for used ones.

But I think the somewhat more upright seating of the Organic Engines one on Craigslist would be something that would appeal to my son and DIL, so if that brand is a good quality then it sounds like it is definitely worth our taking a look at it (hoping the rust really is only surface).

I will check into BROL also.  Thanks again  :-)

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Kathleen JonesTo [deleted user]

Good luck and report back! I’m interested to hear what you think of that Organic Engines tandem, and if your son and DIL think it will work for them.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
[deleted user]To Kathleen Jones

I will  :-)

....although it will be at least one week, possibly two before I could hope to get our schedules to mesh (Having now tried it myself, I wouldn't recommend returning to the working world right when you hit menopause - definitely sucks the life out of your schedule - but sometimes life dictates... ).  

If we do end up taking a look at it, I will definitely let you know what we think.

Thanks!

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Keith AdamsTo [deleted user]

Hi Andrea

Head up to Mt Airy Bike in Mt Airy, MD.  They have a large selection of trikes, new and used, single and tandem.  You can do parking lot trials or rent them for extended testing.  Call or email before you go, because they need time to comb through their inventory to get suitable options set up for you.  They are closed Wednesday and Sunday.

Their website is bike123.com.

I'd be happy to meet you there, as I've been friends with the owner for over 35 years.

Also check Bikes@Vienna, in Vienna VA.  They do a lot of recumbent sales, but I'm not as certain about their tandems.

If it comes to it, I have two recumbent tandems (two wheels each, not trikes) and might part with one of them since they're underutilized now.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago