Camping season, Italy Adriatic coast - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Camping season, Italy Adriatic coast

Kevin Stevens

Inspired by Emmet's post regarding campgrounds in France, I'd like to tap fellow CycleBlazers' collective wisdom regarding campgrounds on Italy's Adriatic coast. I plan to leave Venice around September 20 and ride down to Bari. Looking at the map and seeing tons of campgrounds along the way, I thought I'd be good to go. However, it seems that most shut down for the season by mid-September.

Is it possible that I can thread the needle and stumble across enough campgrounds that are open until the end of September? Are there places along the beach where I might be able to get away with some wild camping? Or am I better off leaving the camping gear at home? I'm really hesitant to do that, as I do like to camp.

Also, has anyone toured this route before? I plan to follow what's known as the Ciclovia Adriatica, which appears to still be very much in the planning/development stages. I have no strong commitment to it and will be ready to head inland if it starts to get boring or inhospitable to biking.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Emmet FarrellTo Kevin Stevens

Wish I could help, Kevin, but I've never been to Italy, let alone toured there. I will be watching this for replies though as it is possible that next year I will be doing a tour there and I'm keen to hear some local knowledge about it also.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kevin Stevens

We have not camped for several years, since Dodie's knees went south. However, from what we recall most campings in Europe close down in mid to late September. We have no knowledge of wild camping possibilities in Italy, but hopefully someone on this site may have some insights. 

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Lyle McLeodTo Kevin Stevens

Hi Kevin, on our 2019 Copenhagen to Lecce tour we got into southern Italy in late October / early November. We were inland until we hit the coast south of Barri on the Salento peninsula. By then virtually all tourist facilities, including camp grounds were locked right for the season. You will be a little earlier and probably along more tourist driven routes, however I think you would be pushing your luck if you were depending on camping as your primary accommodation. Hope this helps.

Reply    Link    Flag
11 months ago
Kevin StevensTo Lyle McLeod

Thanks Lyle, that's very helpful. I think we're going to wing it at least as far as Ravenna, and then head back inland or take the train to Bari if camping doesn't pan out for us.

Reply    Link    Flag
10 months ago