Has a magazine article inspired a tour? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Has a magazine article inspired a tour? (page 2)

Dino AngeliciTo Wayne Estes

"Dino, I can hardly imagine a publisher using your photo without consent and without giving credit."

Yes, that is why I indicated that I would likely have a hard time accusing someone of having done so. The photo I am referencing may have been the same object taken from a very similar position and on a similarly atmospheric day. The unusual coincidence to me is that I published my article/journal on another "network" and a few months later, a similar article appeared (written by someone else) in a magazine. Seeing the photo caused me to do a real double take. 

I'm going to make an educated guess that they (various magazine editors) receive a number of submissions for publishing. When the editor saw my article/journal, it jogged a memory that someone had submitted something along those lines and they decided to go with it. That has happened at least four times, with different articles/journals I have written and always with a several month lag time. 

Like I said, I'm happy they are reading our stuff and that we are giving them ideas. It would be nice to have a mention, now and then, but that probably won't happen in a competitive market where mentioning the competition (even if it is a non-profit) is a no no. Happy Trails Wayne! 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Wayne EstesTo Dino Angelici

Most of my journals were created on a different web site and imported to this site. I do miss the "Relations" feature on the other web site which allowed me to embed other authors' photos in my journals, with full attribution and clear separation. And of course it allowed other journal authors to embed my photos in their journals. I even used Relations to embed my own old pictures in new journals. 

Now I can only include the occasional link or, very selectively add stolen photos such as the 3 magazine article scans in the message that started this conversation. The stolen images in my journals are mostly specialty maps, not landscape photos.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Dino AngeliciTo Gregory Garceau

I remember that article! Glad you got there to see some of the trail. From the description in the article, it seemed like a very technical trail. 

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago
Dino AngeliciTo Wayne Estes

I'll be looking forward to reading your journal, once you complete the tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
2 months ago