GPX Tracks for Portugal and Southern Spain? (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

GPX Tracks for Portugal and Southern Spain? (page 2)

Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Just a thought, since you’re going to make a loop of it.  If you haven’t already bought your flight, you might start in Lisbon instead of Porto and allow more time in Spain.  Personally, we found the cycling in northern Portugal more challenging.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott Anderson

We have our flights already booked out and back from Porto. Too bad, cause our first thought was to start in Lisbon, but oh well, maybe next time.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/Grampies

Hi Steve

All my tracks are here on RWGPS https://ridewithgps.com/collections/37441?privacy_code=9VPlFsiBatmjETQ4 but I'm not sure if they are the kind of riding you like, as Al and I prefer to ride on roads.  Quiet roads.

I create my own routes on RWGPS using a paper map (for the big picture) and prefer to make single-day routes as I find them easier to use on the road.  Of course, I can ride more or less than what I thought I might with no problem.

Have you tried using RWGPS (the website, not the app) and turning on th e OSM Cycle layer?  It shows the "official" EV and other routes and you can create your own to follow those.  It also gives you an idea of the surface (not always accurate, of course) and you can use Street View to check, though my rule is if there is no Street View, it's probably not where I want to ride.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie Gaudet

Thanks Jacquie.  I think we found your ride gorgeous, but hilly! The suggestion about OSM cycle is great, and it shows not just EV but other regional routes.

So many people like RWGPS, but I find it something like a Macintosh with a one button mouse - you can get things done but it's so elegant that the method may not be obvious. What I mean is that RWGPS only asks for one place, with the cryptic invitation "enter a location" and then wants you to be clicking on the map to develop a route? Yes, I see the "control point" button and I know I can type in more locations, but it just seems too efficient and elegant for me! This compares to Google Maps or Bikemap.net or Cycle.travel which allow you to create and modify a list of waypoints by name, and the list is maintained in full view to be shuffled or deleted at any time. Maybe I need someone to sit down with me and give a RWGPS lesson!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

If you want to give me a call tomorrow afternoon, perhaps I can walk you through it?  I’ll email you my phone number. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

If you want to give me a call tomorrow afternoon, perhaps I can walk you through it?  I’ll email you my phone number. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie Gaudet

Thanks Jacquie. Tomorrow we will be in Vic all day and eve - Thursday eve?

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Sure, Thursday evening is fine.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago