Data sim card (page 2) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Data sim card (page 2)

Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen Classen

In England they apparently spoke English but we found it confusing. The shop that sold the SIM sent me down the road to the "post office" to obtain credit, a code on a cash register slip. I got lost or confused because I went to the "Royal Mail", which is apparently not the post office. Once I had the slip, I brought it back to the SIM shop and the man used the credit to buy time for the SIM.  Later I was able to buy another slip at a "post office" and apply it to my SIM by using codes typed into my phone. However I could also do this with recharge.com, which can work for literally any company/country.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Betsy EvansTo Steve Miller/Grampies

I had cell coverage within an hour of arriving at our hotel.  And didn't really need it before then, since the airport and hotel had wifi. Before leaving for Spain, I looked up the hours of the nearest Movistar store (there are lots of them in the big cities), and took a screenshot of the walking route - well, I could've used maps.me too, since I downloaded it to my phone. The Movistar employee activated the SIM card for me.  I was out of the store in under 10 minutes. 

This month Movistar is charging 10 euros for 60 GB per month.  So about $14 CAD -that's $0.23/GB.  In Canada, I have what's considered a pretty cheap plan, at $45 for 12 GB/month, or $3.75/GB. I'm paying Koodoo (Telus) 16 times what I could pay Movistar.  Grrrr...  And I'd actually be fine with Movistar's 5 GB for 5 euro deal. I rarely use more than that in a month at home (but did use more when travelling).  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Betsy Evans

Just to add some sensationalism to this forum, I also have a SIM from onesimcard.com It basically works in all countries, but get this, the cost of data is 25 cents US per mB. That is, $250 per gB. Ok, they will also sell a monthly data package - $20 for 1 gB for one month. Joining the ranks of ripoff artists is our own Rogers. Their "Roam Like Home" plan costs $15 per day! This gives you access to your existing Canadian overpriced monthly data plan.  Once, in anticipation of arriving back in Canada I put my Rogers chip back in my phone while still abroad, and wham, $15. They said as a feature and not a bug, I was automatically eligible for this wonderful service.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago