Ferries from Morocco - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

Ferries from Morocco

Rachel and Patrick Hugens

We've shifted focus for a Spring tour: Morocco to Holland.

Beginning research on ferries to Italy and appreciate any information or links

Thanks

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick Hugens

Um - Italy?  How does that fit in on a ride from Morroco to Holland?  Need more information.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Scott Anderson

Hopefully, Morocco to Albania via Sardinia and Sicily across the boot of Italy to Albania and up the Adriatic coast. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Oh.  Well, that’s an interesting little jaunt.  We’ve done some of this: ferries to and from Sardinia, from Ancona to Split, from Sicily to Calabria, and from Corfu to Albania.  Oh, and ferry/island hopping up the Croatian coast.  We also explored taking the ferry from Puglia to Igoumenitsa, a fairly natural way to get to Albania.  When I get a chance over the next few days I’ll pull together what I know and pass it on.

Do you have a rough timeline worked out yet?  I’m sure at least some of these crossings are seasonal.  

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Thanks Scott. only timeline so far is March to May. That's the question about ferries,

knowing some may only run a few days a week, or as you say seasonal, to make a schedule that doesn't slow down the window of traveling to Holland.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

I have no idea on how you’ll get to Sardinia and will be interested to see what you come up with.  Once you’re on Sardinia though I think your only direct connection to Sicily is From Cagliari to Palermo.  As far as I know the only service on that line is once a week on Saturday, by Grimaldi.

Getting from Sicily to the mainland is of course no problem - a short hop, running many times a day.  In case you hadn’t thought of this FYI, it sounds like you might be in Sicily during Holy Week, which could be an amazing experience.  You might want to plan ahead and figure out your bookings well in advance unless you’re camping out.

I’m surprised to find that there are lots of options from getting from Puglia to Albania, and that they appear to be year round.  The most likely runs depending on where you want to go in Albania are Brindisi to Sarande and Bari to Durres.  If you have the time I’d sail to Sarande and loop through the south end of the country (see our journal Up the Balkans from 2018).

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Thanks heaps Scott. We will check out your journal for sure.

We will also be in Morocco during Ramadan....third time for us to be in a Muslim country during that time. Should be interesting. And thanks for the heads up about Holy Week. 

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago

Our original plan was to go across Algeria and Tunisia and ferry to Sicily...but the visa for Algeria is difficult. So the switch to Sardinia.

Racpat

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago