CURIOUS NIGHTS (page 3) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

CURIOUS NIGHTS (page 3)

Jacquie GaudetTo Keith Adams

Meanwhile I (and other female cycle tourists too, I suppose) am looking at the land around me wondering if I can get far enough off the road to take a leak in privacy.  Given how difficult that often is, I don't think I'll be planning to wild camp on a cycle tour anytime soon.  Besides, I prefer to camp near a hot shower if possible.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Robert EwingTo Leo Woodland

Two places come to mind.  As teenagers riding from Canada to Mexico we were directed (commanded) by the State Highway Patrol to get off the freeway and  ride on a narrow unlit country road at night and we had no lights of any sort. We camped in the bleachers of the rodeo arena in King City, California. Nothing eventful happened.  

About ten years ago I called it a day after climbing all day in western Colorado. I dispersed camped on federal  BLM land, a common and very legal activity. But I was next to what I learned was an unstaffed natural gas compression station. Other than the hissing and burping of the station it should have been an uneventful night. Then I saw smoke and then flames on the ridge overlooking me and the gas plant with the wind pointing my way. Then helicopters with water buckets started making drop runs. The wind changed direction and I calmed down a bit. I loaded the bike save for my sleeping bag for a quick getaway if needed. Crawled in with my bike clothes on including socks and gloves with my shoes next to me. (Having learned my lesson all those decades ago I did have bike lights.) While no one knew I was there, I’m sure there were people who were well aware of the natural gas plant and would set up a fire defense if it were truly threatened. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago