For riders of small-wheel bikes... (page 4) - CycleBlaze

Bicycle Travel Forum

For riders of small-wheel bikes... (page 4)

Keith AdamsTo Scott Anderson

May Fortune continue to smile on you, my friend.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly Iniguez

Now that I have had time to circle back to the Forums it occurs to me that I failed to make my cotton ball suggestion.   Have Jacinto take a cotton ball and wipe it around the inside of the suspect tire.  If there is anything protruding into the tire the cotton will snag on it and leave a wisp of strands that show where it is.

There's a fly in the ointment *somewhere* in here. But where, exactly?
Hmmm, maybe there?
Yep! Cotton ball comes through again and points the way.
Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Ray Swartz

Ray-

If you followed my "Rejuvenation" journal (or read the later posts in this thread) you are already aware of the sad saga of my tires.

I can't find a source for folding 20-inch Marathons (or any other brand/model, for that matter).  Where do you get yours?

For the weeks that I toted a spare I simply bungeed it to the tops of my rear panniers, draped over my tent.  It was inconvenient but way better than not having it at all, as matters proved. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Keith Adams

Keith,

Utah Trikes is a good source for Schwalbe Tires. At the height of COVID, I was was searching high and low for 26" Marathon Racers. Utah Trikes was the only place that had them in stock. 20" folding tires here.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Kelly Iniguez

Thanks Kelly!

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly Iniguez

Kelly, all the 20 inch Schwalbe Marathon tires on that web page are wire bead. I have never seen a folding Marathon advertised in 20 or 26 inch size.

My Schwalbe Marathon Racers are wire bead. My 28mm Schwalbe Durano tires are folding, but I wouldn't use them for a cross country tour.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Wayne Estes

folding bead Kojak. It's a 1.35, perhaps a bit narrow for touring. But, it's a folder.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Keith Adams

For those who might find this good information - there is recent discussion on Bent Riders OnLine (BROL), about 406 size tires. To my memory, Several have spoken in favor of the Continental Contact Urban(the Speed isn't as well liked). Specifically, they like the flat proof-ness, and that it is good on wet roads. One person said they couldn't find the tire state side, but ordered from Bike 24 (somewhere in Europe), and got three tires shipped for $80. seems like a good price. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Jerry RobersonTo Keith Adams

Yes, I always carry a spare tire even though I use Marathon Supremes and Pluses. Murphys law can/will happen at the worst time. I keep it folded down about the size of a bar of soap. 

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltTo Keith Adams

Hi Keith - it figures if you DON'T carry one, you'll need one.  I was biking in Scotland a few years ago.  Brought my Bike Friday.  Didn't bring a spare.  A day or so into biking, the tire bulged and needed to be replaced.  I WALKED to about 4 or 5 bike stores in Edinburgh and finally found a shop that had a pair that would fit!  Thank God!!!  The 20-inch tires are hard to find!  Similar thing happened when I was in Chicago!  Very difficult if not impossible to find a replacement. :(  Having one on hand doesn't take much room or weight - so it's worth it.

Reply    Link    Flag
1 year ago